Her Campus Emmanuel’s Favorite Holiday Traditions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

The holidays are fast approaching, check out some of our team’s favorite traditions!

Name: Angela McPhee, General Member

HerTradition: Every year since eighth grade, my friends from home and I do Secret Santa. We go to one of my friends’ houses to make a bunch of food, open presents, and watch a movie. I look forward to it every year!

Name: Ashley Jurus, Public Relations Director

HerTradition: Since my siblings and I stopped waking up at 4am to open presents, we make breakfast together. It’s so nice to have a relaxing morning with just my family. With everyone in the kitchen, we all watch as I burn the pancakes and have my sister remake them for me! For a good portion of Christmas morning, we sit around the table drinking coffee and eating delicious breakfast foods to relax before our full day of Christmas!

Name: Eimile Bowden, Campus Correspondent, President

HerTradition: My family watches A Charlie Brown Christmas on Christmas Eve every year, so we know every line by now!

Name: Emily Tessier, Treasurer

HerTradition: Every Christmas Eve, we visit my mom’s extended family, participate in a Yankee Swap, and take a gigantic family picture with all of the cousins on the couch. There are normally no less than twenty of us trying to cram into only a few seats.

Name: Gianna Mangiarelli, Campus Correspondent, Editor in Chief

HerTradition: On Christmas morning, my family blasts the Michael Bublé Christmas album while we open presents, making sure that my siblings and I open our first gifts at the same time. We have a balanced breakfast of cinnamon buns and candy from our stockings, then we go to my grandma’s house to the continue celebrating with our extended family.

Name: Hannah Lynam, Secretary

HerTradition: Every Christmas my family and I watch The Sound of Music and sing along to it.  My father is always Mr. Von Trapp and my mother Maria.  Being an only child, I always end up playing all of the children.  It is something that my small trio family started and is something I treasure.

Name: Katheryne Esqueda, General Member

HerTradition: The celebration, for my family, begins on Christmas Eve. We get all dressed up, blast music and stay up until midnight to open presents. Christmas Day is spent relaxing and enjoying our time together.

Name: Melanie Albright, Co-Social Media Manager

HerTradition: Every Christmas Eve my sister and I get to open one present- and its always pajamas! Then we wear them to bed and the next morning while we open presents.

Name: Victoria Dias, Co-Social Media Manager

HerTradition: My brother and I alternate years for who gets to pick out the Christmas tree. Whoever doesn’t pick the tree picks the star or angel and puts it on the top. We also hide a pickle shaped ornament in the tree and whoever finds it gets to make a Christmas wish! We ALWAYS watch A Christmas Carol, every version you could imagine, and on Christmas eve we read ‘Twas the Night Before Christmas.

Name: Victoria Harding, Co-Social Media Manager

HerTradition: On Christmas Eve my family and I go over to our neighbor’s house to have dinner and some of my mom’s homemade desserts and watch A Christmas Story! It’s a great time because one of my neighbors is my age and one is my brother’s age and both of our families have yellow labs so everyone has someone to spend time with! When we go home we each open one Christmas present before we go to bed.

Happy holidays from the Her Campus Emmanuel team!

Gianna is a freshman at Emmanuel College and is really excited to see what this year has in store for her. Along with writing for Her Campus, Gianna participates in Yoga Club, Zumba Club, and Colleges of the Fenway Dance Project. In her free time, you will most likely find her watching Friends and sipping tea out of her Central Perk mug.