This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

Ashley is the 2018-2019 Her Campus at Emmanuel President and Co-Campus Correspondent. Keep reading to hear about her time with the chapter at Emmanuel College!

Name: Ashley Jurus

Major: Communications & Media Studies, Minors in Marketing & Writing

HCE Exec Board Position: ‘18 – ‘19 President & Co-Campus Correspondent; ‘17 – ‘18 Public Relations Director 

HCE current Executive Board

Favorite Emmanuel Class: Communications Senior Seminar, but special shoutout to Images of Masculinity and Internet Marketing.

HCE: Tell us a little about your history with Her Campus over the past four years!

Ashley: This past year has given me more than I ever could have imagined. I joined second semester Freshman year, but wish I had thought to join the first week of school. I’ve gone from general member for a year and a half, to Public Relations Director my Junior Year, and this year I was the President and Co-Campus Correspondent. Each role has allowed me to grow and understand the responsibilities of the next. I can honestly say my college experience has been shaped by this chapter. The friends I’ve made, the professional experiences I’ve had and all the fun memories I’ll cherish forever.

Mady Daigle and I at the Boston College Fashion Week in 2017.

HCE: What has been your favorite part of being a part of the HCE team?

Ashley: Her Campus at Emmanuel has allowed me to understand that the Communications field is exactly what I want to do with my career. Although, I’ve done internships and even took part in a communications exchange program in Jönköping, Sweden this chapter has taught me so much about the field. Through their work with social media, blogging, publishing, and sponsorships, I know communications is what I love to do.

HCE: Do you have any advice for HCE in the future?

Ashley: Go with your gut. You’re not always going to know exactly what to do and I guarantee you’re going to mess up sometimes, but you’ll learn from it. Making mistakes will only allow you to flourish later on. But, do you what think is right even if that might not be what’s easy.

Some HCE members at College Fashion Week Boston this year

HCE: How do you think HCE has helped you grow through your involvement with the chapter?

Ashley: If you ask anyone who knows me, I’m an introvert. Even just attending our weekly meetings, has allowed me to grow. I have seen great improvement in my confidence in public speaking as well as leading a group. I will forever be grateful to everything being a part of this chapter has given me.

Hannah Lynam and I are Her Conference this past summer.

HCE: Do you have any advice or anything you would want to say to freshman Ashley?

Ashley: Don’t be afraid to of rejection. It’s a lesson easier said than done, but it couldn’t be more true. I’ve been rejected more times than I would like to admit. But, every time I was chosen for a position or accepted into a group, I knew I fit in. After seeing different organizations, jobs or internships I’ve been rejected from in the past, I know why. I wasn’t a fit and that’s okay. You’ll learn more from a rejection than never putting yourself out there.

The current HCE Co-CC’s with next year’s Co-CC’s.

I can’t wait to hear all about where HCE goes in the years to come and follow along to see what great adventures HCE takes its new members on.

Her Campus Emmanuel
Makenzie is a current Senior at Emmanuel College studying Communications + Media Cultural Studies and Performing Arts. (Try saying that three times fast...) She's been a part of her school's Her Campus chapter since it's very first semester, and has been chapter advising for 2 years. Makenzie is also a National Writer for HC's beauty section, Campus Trendsetter, and former HC Community Development Intern. Makenzie is incredibly excited to be finishing up her last semester as Co-Campus Correspondent of HC Emmanuel. Interested in joining yourself? Hit her up anytime!