Harrison Corder’s Running the Boston Marathon for MGH!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

Next Monday, Harrison Corder will be running in the Boston Marathon. Harrison is a junior at Emmanuel, studying business management. This is his first time running in the Boston Marathon. He sat down with Her Campus Emmanuel to tell us all about the big day.

HCE: Hi Harrison! Thank you so much for sitting down with us to tell us about how you’re preparing for the Boston Marathon this Monday! We’re so excited to watch you run the marathon. We always love supporting Emmanuel College students out in the Boston community! To start off, what made you want to run the Boston Marathon?

HC: Well, my dad and I ran the Chicago Marathon in 2014. We had a great time running together and wanted to see what next race would be for us. Being from Massachusetts, we knew we wanted to do the Boston Marathon. Essentially, running the Boston Marathon is the dream. Boston, really, is the best marathon out there.

HCE: I totally agree. So are you running the Boston Marathon with your dad, again?

HC: Yep. My dad is my best friend. We’ve been training together. We feed off each other. It helps to have someone going through the same thing as you. He’s the best running pal.

HCE: That’s so sweet. How long have you guys been training for next week?

HC: We started our running schedule at the end of October. So, we’ve been specifically training for the Boston Marathon for the past six months. We run five days a week, and so far have run 734 miles in preparation. It’s a lot, but worth it.

HCE: Wow. That’s a lot of miles to run. What cause are you running for?

HC: We’re on the Massachusetts General Hospital Emergency Response Team. So the Massachusetts General Hospital Emergency Response Team built a facility that trains first responders for natural disaster or terror attacks. All the money for goes towards this building and all the activities within that building are paid for from fundraising. A majority of the fundraising comes from the Boston Marathon.

HCE: That’s amazing. Where can people donate to support MGH?

HC: There’s a link to my online donation page. All the money goes to the Massachusetts General Hospital Emergency Response Team. We’re very grateful to anyone who helps out.

HCE: What’s the first thing you’ll do when you finish?

HC: To be honest, I’ll probably cry and hug my dad. After, I’m just going to hang out with my family. It’ll be nice to just relax.

HCE: Is there anything else you want to add before we go?

HC: Mostly, I’m just looking forward to next week. I’m excited to do all the activities offered to the runners. I’ve heard that people don’t appreciate the race as much as they should while it’s happening. I want to make sure I really appreciate this opportunity. It’s so selective to be able to run in the Boston Marathon. I’m really honored to be able to run for the Massachusetts General Hospital Emergency Response Team in the Boston Marathon.

HCE: Well, Harrison, thank you so much for sitting down with Her Campus Emmanuel and telling us about your preparation for the Boston Marathon next week. We’re so excited to watch to cross the finish line! We wish you the best of luck! HCXO

Ashley is a senior studying English Communications and Media Studies at Emmanuel College in Boston. Currently, she acts as the President and Co-Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Emmanuel chapter. In the past, she acted as the Public Relations Director for the 2017-2018 year. She loves all things PR and in her spare time enjoys watching cute ads on Youtube.
Gianna is a freshman at Emmanuel College and is really excited to see what this year has in store for her. Along with writing for Her Campus, Gianna participates in Yoga Club, Zumba Club, and Colleges of the Fenway Dance Project. In her free time, you will most likely find her watching Friends and sipping tea out of her Central Perk mug.