Halloween How-To’s: DIY Crafts for a Spook-tacular Dorm Room

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

Halloween is coming up quick, and collegiettes everywhere are searching for the perfect Halloween crafts to decorate their home away from home accordingly. And when you’re a broke college student, you want to make your dorm or apartment festive for the holiday without breaking the bank. Luckily for you, we’ve rounded up some of our favorite Halloween DIY crafts to make your room look fabulously frightening. So get your crafty pants on and grab your friends for an afternoon of fun and easy projects!

1. Pumpkin Painting: You can’t go wrong with pumpkin decorations; they are a staple for Halloween crafters everywhere. But, there’s no reason why your pumpkin has to be basic like all the rest. And if you can’t be bothered to go through the effort of carving yours, we have the perfect simple solution to glam up your average pumpkins. Painting or bedazzling your pumpkin is a quick and easy way to make your pumpkins stand out. You can use these pictures for some inspiration, but feel free to be as creative as you want! They don’t have to be orange or black or the usual Halloween colors, and don’t shy away from patterns either. We’re especially into this chic monogrammed pumpkin – who knew pumpkins could be so classy?

2. Fanged Pumpkins: For an interesting spin on your pumpkin decorating, pick up some of those plastic fangs to make your own tiny Drac-o-lanterns! This one does require a bit of carving, but if you’re up to it, the result is pretty spooky.

3. Paper Pumpkin: If you don’t want to buy a real pumpkin, don’t worry – here’s a simple tutorial to make this artsy paper version! We love how this tutorial showcases patterned pages of scrapbook paper that somehow all tie together and looks awesome.

4. Yarn Spiderweb: You won’t have to worry about getting caught in these spiderwebs! Follow this tutorial to create a home for some plastic creepy crawlies out of just yarn and tape. You can hang it in the window to scare your neighbors or on the wall inside to freak out your roommate!

5. Halloween Garlands: Garlands are a class decoration for any holiday, and Halloween is certainly no exception. Click here to choose from twelve different Halloween garland tutorials – you’re bound to find something to spook up your dorm room!

6. Door Decs: For the truly dedicated Halloween fans out there, you can even decorate your door to look like your favorite Halloween creature or character. Here are some pictures to inspire your inner crafter!

7. Window Decorations: All this project requires is some black construction paper and a steady hand. You can get inspired by the monsters in the picture below, or feel free to cut out other Halloween creatures to give your neighbors something to admire while they walk under your window.

8. Toilet Monster: If you live in a suite or an apartment and you have your own bathroom, this cute craft is a must! No tutorial here, but some simple black and white paper is all your need to create this little toilet monster that will definitely be a talking point amongst your guests.

9. Franken-fridge: Even if you don’t have a full size fridge, you can still spice up your fridge with this craft! All it takes is some construction paper to recreate this classic Halloween monster.

10. Mason Jar Decorating: Mason jar crafts are all the rage these days, so it’s inevitable that they would make the list. There are tons of crafts out there that you can do with mason jars, but we picked two of our favorites: pumpkin mod-podge luminaries and mummified spray-painted jars. One of the best things about mason jars is that they’re usually pretty cheap, so you could make a bunch of these crafts and display them all over your room!

11. Mason Jar Lid Pumpkins: After you finish your mason jar crafts, you can even use the lids to make these little pumpkins shown here. It’s like two crafts in one!

12. Wine Bottle Decorating: For the 21+ crowd, don’t just throw away those empty wine bottles! You can spray paint them to make them into festive centerpieces for your kitchen table. We love the cute creations shown in this tutorial, or you can go for the ombre effect with these candy-corn inspired bottles. If you’re feeling lazy, you can always opt for the simple trick of wrapping your wine bottle up like a mummy, as shown here.

13. Skull Touch Light: If you’re a fan of the dollar store and The Nightmare before Christmas, this next craft is right up your alley. All it takes is a dollar store touch light and a black sharpie to create a glowing replica of Jack Skellington. Your friends will be super impressed with the level of spooky your room reaches with this new addition!

14. Wreaths: Don’t just leave the wreaths for Christmas! There are tons of ideas on the internet for Halloween wreaths for your door, so we’ve picked two of our favorites for you to check out: here and here.

15. “Floating” Halloween Frames: The best part about this craft is that it looks a lot fancier than it really is. This tutorial will tell you to use a Cricut to make the black designs, but you can definitely just trace some basic Halloween designs onto black cardstock or felt using a printed template. Hang them from command hooks or display them on your desk or dresser; they’ll look spook-tacular either way!

16. BOO Hanging Sign: If you want a low-maintenance but still cute craft, we’ve got you. All you have to do for this one is hit up your local craft store for some wooden letters to spell out BOO (exclamation point optional), ribbon, and paint. This tutorial suggests spray painting the letters, but regular acrylic paint will work just fine. They make for an adorable display of Halloween pride!

Happy crafting, and happy Halloween!

Holliston//Boston Current senior at EC, future teacher of your children Things that make me happy include: Christmas, new bottles of nail polish, ice cream cookie sandwiches, a good book, and anyone who can understand my Friends jokes. 
Her Campus Emmanuel