This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

In honor of one of the greatest shows in existence returning last week, I thought I’d share my thoughts on some of the badass women of Game of Thrones with all of you.

1. Daenerys Targaryen: Queen of the Andals, Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, the Unburnt, Breaker of Chains and Mother of Dragons

Image courtesy of Pinterest

First of all, the amount of names this girl has says it all. She is the Queen of the Andals, Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, the Unburnt, Breaker of Chains and Mother of Dragons. From the beginning of the series, she has been the character that everyone talks about. From King Robert in King’s Landing to Jon Snow at Castle Black, everyone knows who Daenerys is. She’s knows exactly what she wants, what belongs to her, and she doesn’t take no for an answer. Not only is her character a badass, but the actress who plays her, Emilia Clarke, is also incredible.  Recently Clarke told the world that throughout the filming of both seasons 2 and 3 she was battling with brain hemorrhages, which pretty amazing if you ask me.

2. Sansa Stark

Image courtesy of USA today

I’m going to be completely honest here, at first Sansa was one of those characters who I just did not like. However, as the show progressed you come to learn just how much this girl had to go through in order to survive. From being betrothed to King Joffrey, to marrying Ramsay Bolton, this girl has had to endure so much. Not only has her character developed into such a strong and beautiful woman, she herself has never given up. Whether that be when she was being tormented by Cersei or jumping off a wall to escape from her psycho husband, she has always persevered through the hardest of times, making her an incredibly strong woman.

3. Arya Stark

Image courtesy of UNHCR

If you look up badass in the dictionary, you literally get a picture of Arya Stark. This girl knew from a young age that she did not want to be like all of the other noble ladies of Westeros, she wanted to be a fighter, and that’s exactly what she became. From becoming separated from her entire family in season one, to becoming a faceless girl and extraordinary fighter, this girl has always been someone you don’t want to mess with. I think one thing that makes Arya such a badass is the fact that wherever she goes, people underestimate her and are completely shocked when she pulls out her trusty sword Needle, and teaches them a lesson.

Honourable Mentions… 

Brienne of Tarth

Image courtesy of The Telegraph

She’s literally the most honorable and badass women ever to have served in the kings guard… Even if it was only for like a day or two. She ROCKS! 

Cercei Lannister 

Yeah she sucks, but I wouldn’t mess with her. She’ might be power hungry, but she’s a boss bitch and honestly, I respect it.

Yegritte

Image courtesy of ecosia.org

I mean, come on, Yegritte was as strong as strong could be, and she was constantly putting men in their place. RIP girl, RIP… 

It’s official, I’m ready for episode 2… Bring on the pain, ladies! 

Alison is a senior Biology major with a concentration in Health Sciences at Emmanuel College in Boston. When she's not studying she loves to write and share her endless amounts of science jokes.
Makenzie is a current Senior at Emmanuel College studying Communications + Media Cultural Studies and Performing Arts. (Try saying that three times fast...) She's been a part of her school's Her Campus chapter since it's very first semester, and has been chapter advising for 2 years. Makenzie is also a National Writer for HC's beauty section, Campus Trendsetter, and former HC Community Development Intern. Makenzie is incredibly excited to be finishing up her last semester as Co-Campus Correspondent of HC Emmanuel. Interested in joining yourself? Hit her up anytime!