Girl With Fringe Earings 2
Girl With Fringe Earings 2
Anna Thetard / Her Campus

Follow Her: Her First Tattoo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

A moment I have been waiting to seize for years has finally arrived. On a perfect fall friday, sunny and brisk, I got my very first tattoo. 

It was exciting, liberating and a little painful, but completely worth it. 

When I stepped through the doors of the tattoo parlor, I stepped into another world. I stepped into a world of art that I had never personally explored before. Surprisingly, I wasn’t nervous at all. I sat in the waiting area on the bench that kind of reminded me of those old church pews with red couch cushions and I waited for my nice tattoo artist, who had an English accent, to come to get me. He showed me a few stencil designs that he chose based on what I told him I wanted—a heart outline. After looking at each one and holding them on the spot I wanted in front of the mirror, I narrowed it down to two shapes that I liked. One was a longer heart shape and the other was a rounder heart shape. I switched back and forth between the two, holding one up and then the other. “Do I go with the rounder heart shape? It’s a fuller heart shape.” “Do I go with the longer heart shape? It’s a little more standard.” 

Then I thought, “stop making it so hard, just go with your gut and pick one”

So, I did. 

I went with the rounder heart shape, that’s what my gut told me and I was going to roll with it. 

I never thought twice about where to get it, I wanted it on my right hip. I liked the location, simple as that. So, after picking the outline I wanted, my tattoo artist explained the process to me and put the outline on my hip along with some cleaning solution. I laid down on the table, closed my eyes and took a breath as some nerves started to kick in. 

Ten minutes of pain, clenching my fists and sweating and I was a new woman- officially a tattooed woman. 

My tattoo is simple. She is small but fierce. Her purpose is to be a symbol of self-love and confidence. Everytime I look down at her, I know she will remind me of that. I know she will remind me that I am beautiful, confident and brave. 

Thank you Boston Tattoo Company for an incredible experience! 

XOXO

Elise Kline

Emmanuel '20

Elise is currently studying as an undergraduate at Emmanuel College in Boston with a major in Communications & Media Studies. This is her third year with Her Campus and she is more than ready to adventure into another year of all things related to politics, social justice, empowerment, lifestyle and more! She loves writing, watching rom coms and kickboxing!
Carly Silva

Emmanuel '21

Carly is a senior at Emmanuel College pursuing a major in English Writing, Editing, and Publishing, as well as Communications and Media Studies. She loves to write and has a particular fondness for poetry. Carly also loves reading on the beach, playing music, and hanging out with her dog, Mowgli.