jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Follow Her: To Acadia National Park

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

Acadia National Park: the only national park in the northeast section of the United States. Tourists flock here from all over the nation as soon as memorial day weekend hits. People come to see the jagged rocks dividing the ocean from the land, waves reaching 20ft high crashing into thunder hole, sand in between your toes, serene hiking and biking, and Cadillac mountain which is the first place to see the sunrise on the east coast. There are lots of reasons for people to drive hours upon hours to reach this haven, fortunately for me, however, this is my backyard. 

The park loop road runs in a circle around the whole park. When you first drive in, you’ll see views similar to the one in the cover picture. The first destination you’ll hit on the park loop road, minus the dozens of hiking and biking trails, is sand beach. 

Photo courtesy of Rosemary Murphy

Taken on a day trip with my younger sister, Lisa, this is the beautiful sand beach on a summer’s morning. Lisa and I took a blanket and sat on this rare sandy beach after sunrise just talking. Looking out over the water and watching the lobster boats go by was so stereotypically Maine, but that’s the lifestyle. We could hear the lighted buoys sounding their bell, warning of sailors of shallow waters, and the waves crashing at thunder hole only half a mile up cove. That was our next stop. 

The best time to visit thunder hole is when the side is coming in. There are stronger waves that hit the rocks faster, making the water splash up tens of feet in the air. 

Photo courtesy of Rosemary Murphy

“Thunder hole” is really just a hole in the rocks at the end of a small inlet that has been carved out by the water over thousands and millions of years. When the waves crash into it and water flies into the air, a loud “boom” fills the air. The water, as this picture portrays, reaches far above the heads of civilians that are supposed to be standing on the left platform. Lisa and I spent hours sitting at the end of the small cover, just trying to get the perfect shot of the waves. 

Among the obvious draws of scenic views from the car and ground, there is also the draw of scenic views from the tops of hills and mountains. Hiking is a huge part of the outdoor lifestyle, especially on Mount Desert Island, where Acadia National Park is. 

Photo courtesy of Rosemary Murphy

The picture shown above is my sister and I starting on a trail up to one of the peaks on the island. There are many different slopes and levels of hiking to accommodate everyone; lisa and I usually choose the medium to easy hikes. As we are not experts by any means, we simply like to get some exercise and enjoy the views on the way up and down the mountain. 

After our trip in the national park is through, then comes the 30 minute drive back home. Although I sometimes wish I had grown up in a city or at least somewhere a little more populated, I have to admit I’m lucky. Growing up with a national park basically in my backyard has provided one of the most amazing childhoods, and visiting Acadia National Park is an experience I would recommend to anyone. 

Rosemary murphy

Emmanuel '20

Rosemary is currently enrolled as a senior at Emmanuel College in Boston. She is involved on campus and enjoys exploring the city in her free time. After graduation, she hopes to move up in the editing and publishing world.
Carly Silva

Emmanuel '21

Carly is a senior at Emmanuel College pursuing a major in English Writing, Editing, and Publishing, as well as Communications and Media Studies. She loves to write and has a particular fondness for poetry. Carly also loves reading on the beach, playing music, and hanging out with her dog, Mowgli.