This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

One tradition that I look forward to the most during Christmas is baking cookies. Baking is a hobby that I have enjoyed for years, and I could not say that without the help of my mother, who taught me all I know about baking. Every year, she makes dozens upon dozens of cookies, beautifully wrapped and given out to share with my family. Memories of cookies for breakfast on Christmas and its delicious goodness are all thanks to my mom, and I hope to continue helping her bake and make them myself every year as tradition. For this weeks article, I wanted to share my favorite cookie recipes of hers!

Peanut Butter Blossoms:

Ingredients:

¾ cup creamy peanut butter

½ cup unsalted butter

½ cup granulated sugar

½ cup packed light brown sugar

¼ teaspoon salt

1 large egg, room temperature

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 ½ cups all-purpose flour

½ teaspoon baking soda

36 Hershey’s chocolate kisses, unwrapped

Instructions:

1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
  2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the peanut butter, unsalted butter, sugars and salt. Cream together by beating on medium speed until well combined. Add the egg and vanilla. Beat until well combined. Scrape down the bowl. Add the flour and baking soda and beat on low speed just until combined.
  3. Scoop the dough and roll into balls in your desired size. Coat in additional granulated sugar if desired. Place on a prepared baking sheet 2 inches apart.
  4. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until the cookies look puffy and cracked and the bottom just start to turn brown. Immediately press a chocolate kiss into the center of each cookie. Allow the cookies to cool completely on the pan, until the chocolate is set.

Spumoni Cookies:

Ingredients: 

2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 cup butter, softened

¼ cup white sugar

¾ cup packed brown sugar

1 package instant pistachio pudding mix

2 eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 bag semi-sweet chocolate chips 

½ cup chopped maraschino cherries

¼ cup chopped pistachio 

Instructions:

1. Preheat the oven to 350°. Mix together flour and baking soda and set aside.
  2. Cream together the butter, white sugar, and brown sugar in a large bowl until smooth. Beat in eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla. Blend in the flour mixture. Fold in chocolate chips, cherries, and pistachios. Put in large spoonfuls onto ungreased baking pans 
  3. Bake in a preheated oven for about 10 minutes or until light brown. 
Haley Clement is a third-year student at Emmanuel College, majoring in Psychology (Counseling & Health) and Sociology (Social Justice & Social Inequality). She enjoys art, music, film, and crafts! Check out Haley’s articles below.