This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

Set in 18th century Villon, France, this novel introduces us to a wanderlust, Addeline LaRue. Throughout her life, she is a very defiant young girl and when the time comes for her to submit to societal expectations and marry, instead she runs off to pray to the gods that answer after dark. She does not wish to be confined to her quaint and restrictive village nor be controlled by a man she is arranged to marry. When the god of darkness appears before her after hearing her pleas, he fulfills her wishes, allowing her to live forever, to truly experience all that the world and life itself has to offer her. The exception to forever being when she decides she has lived long enough and must then forfeit her soul to the god. Moving forward from the deal, she must live alone without a soul to remember her presence on the Earth other than the dark god himself. This novel spans centuries as self proclaimed, Addie spends each moment making her own way in the world. 

The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue is an essential read for all women in today’s society. It contains aspects that are immensely impactful to the reader, as it focuses on travel, history, love, sexuality, LGBTQ+ themes, mental illness, art, and more, including arguably the most prominent theme which is that of feminism and the independence and control that women have over their own lives. Addie sets the standard of the modern woman despite growing up in a religious and immensely traditional community during the 1700’s. Through all the trials she experiences, Addie does not falter once. She struggles, but she does not give in to the god she made a deal with as he attempts to break her and steal her soul time and time again.  

Upon meeting Addie, the reader can immediately glean that this novel is not about whether or not this strong-willed, independent woman will remain in charge of her own life. Therefore, I am not spoiling anything by informing you that she does not fail in her dedication to living on her own terms rather than by any single man or god, nor societal expectations based in any century. This piece, written by the exceedingly talented V.E. Schwab, provides readers the inspiration, reminder, and the opportunity to experience life through the story of a strong woman that defies all odds to remain true to herself and remove all limitations placed upon her due to her gender. 

The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue takes the reader on a journey of what it means to be a woman in the world, no matter what century they derive from. This book will remain impactful to readers 100 years from its date of publication and would have been equally as impactful if it had been written and published during the 1900’s or even farther in time. Throughout the book, the reader will root for Addie every step of the way all while laughing, crying, and questioning where her life choices and the god’s challenges will lead her next. Addie will always serve as a reminder to me and to all readers that it does not matter our gender, nor does the time period in which we live, we will forever be the only ones that can decide who we are, what our worth is, and where life will take us.

Melissa is a Junior at Emmanuel College majoring in Writing, Editing, and Publishing. She enjoys finding new creative outlets, frequenting local coffee and book shops, and admiring the night sky and rainy weather.
Carly Silva

Emmanuel '21

Carly is a senior at Emmanuel College pursuing a major in English Writing, Editing, and Publishing, as well as Communications and Media Studies. She loves to write and has a particular fondness for poetry. Carly also loves reading on the beach, playing music, and hanging out with her dog, Mowgli.