This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

Although things are strange this Valentine’s Day season that does not mean you can’t celebrate! While dating and celebrations may look different during a pandemic, the best way that I have landed on to get into the festive spirit is through watching Rom-Coms. As someone who considers them an expert on all things cheesy movies, here are my top picks for Valentine’s Day 2021!

Best Rom-Com if You Recently Went Through a Break-up

Netflix’s original movie, Someone Great, released in 2019, is the perfect movie to watch if you are wanting a bit of romance but with an overarching theme of the importance of female friendship. This movie tells the upbeat story of Jenny, played by Jane the Virgin’s Gina Rodruigez, trying to establish herself and her career after a breakup with her longtime boyfriend. With enough pop music and culture references to keep the movie upbeat and entertaining but still enough love (both romantic and platonic) to be the perfect Valentine’s Day film post-break up.

Best Rom-Com if You Want Light-Hearted Fluff

2001’s Bridget Jones’ Diary is, in my opinion, the best rom-com ever made (am I biased because it is my favorite movie in general? Possibly…). While the plot is low-stakes and involves the classic cliche of a love triangle between none other than Britain’s favorite romantic leading men, Colin Firth and Hugh Grant, Renée Zellweger’s character is charming and relatable as she tries to juggle her career, insecurities, and romance in general. This movie is witty as well as perfectly cheesy with some amazingly love-y dialogue perfect for the holiday (“I like you very much. Just as you are” is iconic if you ask me). Not to mention this film is chock full of Pride and Prejudice references that are fun to pick out if you are an Austen fan like myself. (Honorable mention for 1999 Notting Hill)

Best Rom-Com if You Want to Celebrate the Classics

Old Hollywood is known for giving us classic actors and actresses as well as creating a blueprint for the modern classics but more so than all of that, Old Hollywood is known for creating some of the most classic romance stories in film history. In my opinion, the 1953 film, Roman Holiday, starring Audrey Hepburn and Gregory Peck, is the perfect ‘classic Hollywood’ rom-com. Hepburn plays a European princess in Rome who catches the eye of an American reporter. From there, a romance is formed and the movie is an instant classic set on a timeless Italian backdrop.

Best John Hughes Romance

If you know anything about romantic comedies, it makes sense as to why John Hughes gets his own category. In the 1980s, John Hughes essentially reinvented the rom-com, highlighting teen romance in a way that has captivated audiences up until present day. As someone who has seen them all, my favorite has to be Pretty in Pink. Not only do the costumes and soundtrack provide a fun vintage aesthetic, the movie centers around quiet girl, Andie, and her best friend, Duckie, as she tries to gain the attention of popular jock, Blane. This movie is a classic to watch with friends, a significant other, or even a mom or sister!

Best Rom-Com to Watch With a Significant Other (who maybe isn’t into them)

Back in high-school, I told my boyfriend about my love of cheesy movies and we decided to watch one together and from that moment I decided that 10 Things I Hate About You is the perfect romantic comedy to watch with a partner who maybe doesn’t share the same tastes. This 1999 movie stars Julia Stiles and Heath Ledger as Ledger’s character attempts to win the affections of closed-off feminist, Kat Stratford. This movie blends cheesy romance with comedic moments, as well as an outstanding performance from Heath Ledger that is sure to hold the attention of any audience member, romance lover or otherwise. 

Best Rom-Com for a Long-Distance Relationship

Being away from your partner is always difficult but especially during holidays. However, with new platforms such as NetflixParty and Scener, watching movies in-sync with someone far away is possible and Sleepless in Seattle (1993) is a perfect one about a couple with distance in-between. Starring Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan, the movie follows a couple who meet via a letter and a radio show and begin a relationship from there.

Best Rom-Coms to Watch With Friends

I personally am of the opinion that Valentine’s Day is a day to celebrate all types of love, platonic love as well. So if you’re single this Valentine’s Day, you are more than capable of celebrating the holiday with your close friends! The best movie that is equal parts a celebration of love and friendship is the 1995 classic, Clueless. This iconic film focuses on Cher Horowitz and her two close friends as they balance love and friendship in high school. Not to mention, this movie is filled with iconic quotes and costumes that have remained strong in pop culture.

Madyn is a senior at Emmanuel College and studying English with a focus in writing and communications, as well as pursuing an art history minor. She loves all things vintage, Hozier, One Direction, and her cats. She is the 2021-2022 President for the Emmanuel College chapter!
Carly Silva

Emmanuel '21

Carly is a senior at Emmanuel College pursuing a major in English Writing, Editing, and Publishing, as well as Communications and Media Studies. She loves to write and has a particular fondness for poetry. Carly also loves reading on the beach, playing music, and hanging out with her dog, Mowgli.