BTS performing at the 2021 Grammy Awards
Photo by Cliff Lipson / CBS

Best Moments of the 2022 Grammys

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

The Grammys this year were full of iconic moments that made the three-and-a-half-hour-long award show worth watching. Here are just a few glimpses of that night that really stuck out to me while viewing! 

Red Carpet Looks

As with any award show, one of the most fun parts has to be watching the celebrities arrive and show out in their over-the-top outfits. One of my favorite looks this year had to be Lil Nas X’s studded white suit with a butterfly embroidered over the chest. His red carpet looks are always ones to look out for. Doja Cat also came out in a show-stopping crystal-embroidered Versace gown that was accentuated with a fun Y2K hairstyle that on anyone else would have clashed with the elegant dress but she makes it look perfect. Olivia Rodrigo at her first Grammys as a nominee also wore a gorgeous floor-length black dress with a pink silhouette designed into the fabric. 

There were so many amazing looks this year, but these were some that really stood out to me! 

Performances

The Grammys were full of performances from multiple celebrities from BTS to Brandi Carlile. The performance with the biggest production value definitely goes to BTS’s performance of their hit song “Butter” as they played the roles of spies on stage complete with one of the members being lowered from the ceiling James Bond style. Billie Eilish also gave an incredible show with her brother Finneas singing atop a house turned upside down and fake rain poured down on the stage. Of course, we can’t forget Jack Harlow and Lil Nas X’s incredible performance or Lady Gaga’s tribute to Tony Bennett! 

Olivia Rodrigo and BTS

One moment that had all of Twitter collectively dying had to be at the beginning of BTS’s performance when their member, Taehyung, sat with his arm around Olivia Rodrigo’s chair and leaned over to whisper in her ear. This was met with mixed reactions online, with some wishing they could be Rodrigo and others fearing the backlash she would face at their fanbase’s wrath. Despite what your take on the situation may be, you can’t deny that it was definitely iconic. 

Megan Thee Stallion and Dua Lipa 

Another iconic moment that had me screaming was the announcement of Best New Artist by Megan Thee Stallion and Dua Lipa. They recreated the infamous on-stage moment between Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston where both stars arrived on stage wearing the exact same dress. “Not you stealing my look,” said Megan Thee Stallion. “I was told I had the exclusive,” replied Dua Lipa, “I’m going to have to have a talk with Donatella.”

Of course, it was completely planned and the designer herself stepped on stage to tear hidden seams off both women’s dresses. They both were absolutely stunning in the dress and it was a great homage to an iconic moment of the 1998 VMAs between Carey and Houston. 

Doja Cat and SZA’s Grammy

Finally, Doja Cat and SZA both were awarded their first Grammy! The pair were awarded Best Pop Duo/Group Performance for their work together on “Kiss Me More.” It was truly well deserved, and even the usually sarcastic Doja found herself tearing up over the accomplishment. It was great to see their work being recognized, and the fact that Doja Cat had to literally sprint from the bathroom to get the award made it even better. 

I’ve never been an avid watcher of award shows, but after having so many delays due to Covid it really was great to see everyone show up and celebrate their accomplishments in their industry. The performances, the looks, and the awards were all amazing and well-deserved, and I can’t wait for the 65th annual Grammys! 

Currently pursuing a Communications and Media Studies major and Marketing and Global and Public Health minor at Emmanuel College, with a specific interest in Healthcare Communications. 2021-22 Public Relations and Events Coordinator and 2022-23 President for the Emmanuel chapter.