The Backwards Guide to Waking Up in the Morning

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

So, if you’re anything like me, you dread nothing more than having to wake up for that 8 am class that you swore you would go to this semester. Then once you get there, you try your best not to fall asleep, and it’s a dangerous cycle those two times a week. Well, I haven’t been able to figure out how to get up at a reasonable time yet without dreaming of the next nap I can take, so I thought I’d make a list of all of the things you shouldn’t do when having to get up early fully based on experience.

1. Actually wake up to your alarm

Learn from what I don’t do please, I had to run to my class this morning to make it on time, and it’s that awkward “sorry, so sorry” experience. I personally set three to four alarms and don’t get up to any of them so I end up getting up so much later than last night Alyssa wanted. 

2. Don’t get up with 10 minutes to get ready

This goes hand in hand with the last point because the set alarm will get you up before this. I wish that I could get up before I absolutely need to and end up just tuning in on Zoom. With this maybe you can eat something, maybe you’ll be able to actually drink a coffee before which will always help. Maybe you actually will get to class on time.

3. Take your melatonin and be in bed by 11

Imagine a perfect world of going to bed at a reasonable time? Yeah me neither. I mean it sounds like a good idea to do something that will actually bring you to waking up the next day, but also seems impossible. Upon further thought, it seems as though everything else in this is based on this one rule. If my sleep schedule could just be changed then perhaps I’ll stop falling asleep. Take my word for it and try this one out letting me know how it goes.

4. Stop staring at the clock all class

I get it, it’s tempting it’s right there, you just want to see how much longer there is till that nap you so clearly remember. However, you’ll just get yourself sad that there’s still 25 minutes left and not six. Maybe this makes you more tired—I mean hey that would make sense. I wonder if I’ll ever actually follow this rule, speaking of that I’m writing this at 8:51 am and there’s 24 minutes left.

5. Don’t write your Her Campus article in class

It’s tempting I know, but take those good notes instead of making the professor just think you’re writing notes for the class. I truly don’t know if I can follow this rule, but I hope that you can take my advice on this because it may turn out funnier to you than it is to anyone else.

There are my tips on how to not be like me in an early class. I definitely won’t be following what I said but I hope that anyone else will. The thought is there, I know how to take care of myself but seem to simply not follow through.

Alyssa Martin

Emmanuel '22

Alyssa is currently a senior at Emmanuel College with a major in English Secondary Education. You can find her writing poetry, doing yoga, or binging one of her comfort shows.
Carly Silva

Emmanuel '21

Carly is a senior at Emmanuel College pursuing a major in English Writing, Editing, and Publishing, as well as Communications and Media Studies. She loves to write and has a particular fondness for poetry. Carly also loves reading on the beach, playing music, and hanging out with her dog, Mowgli.