pho at viet bites
pho at viet bites
Sanjana Iyer

Asian Dishes That You Must Try

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

There are so many different kinds of Asian dishes we can choose from, but picking the right dish and what you are in the mood for is sometimes difficult! There is a range from Chinese to Vietnamese to Korean to Japanese. Often, when most Americans think of Asian food, they think of noodles or rice. Clearly that is not all to it. There are so many more types of dishes including fried tofu, vegetables, sushi and soup. Many times Asian food overlaps,but it is important to remember that each Asian culture has unique dishes. 

Famous Chinese Dishes

• Egg rolls: mostly a deep fried appetizer that is filled with cabbage and chopped pork 
  • Sesame Chicken: coated in sweet sauce and coated with sesame seeds   
  • Wonton Soup: seasoned chicken broth with tortellini type dumplings 

Classic Vietnamese Dishes

• Pho: a soup dish which consists of broth, rice noodles and meat
  • Gỏi cuốn (Spring Rolls): a type of roll wrapped in rice paper that veggies, pork and shrimp 
  • Bánh mì: a crispy but soft kind of bread that resembles a sandwich and consists of cilantro, meats and vegetables 

Well-known Korean Dishes

• Bibimbap: rice tossed with sauteed vegtables, sauteed chili flakes and with your choice of meat  
  • Gimbap: cooked with rice, vegetables and meat that are rolled in a dried sheet of seaweed 
  • Japchae: stir fried glass noodles and vegetables that are considered savory and sweet 

Popular Japanese Dishes

• Sushi/Sashimi: small rolls of rice and inside these rolls include spices, vegetables and your choice of seafood 
  • Miso Soup: a light broth consisting of tofu and seaweed
  • Udon: thick pasta made in strips that often include some form of vegetable 

There is a wide variety of dishes from the Asian culture to choose from! I would go past your comfort zone and try one of these foods. You won’t regret it!

Hannah Le

Emmanuel '24

Hannah Le is a Writing, Editing and Publishing major at Emmanuel College in Boston.