Life > Experiences

A Ranking Of Insomnia Cookies From An Ex-Employee

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

From November to January of this year I worked at Insomnia Cookies. Though it was a very VERY brief employment, I managed to try every cookie they had. It was my goal to do it when I was hired at the job, but I didn’t realize how fast I’d be able to do this. I had tried all of the cookies by the end of my second shift, taking home boxes on boxes every night. I would eat cookies during my shift, and then even more outside of work because I always had some in my dorm that I would give to my friends and family.

I ate a lot of cookies, and I have compiled a list (from worst to best) of every Insomnia cookie on their set menu.

Oatmeal Raisin

I cannot get behind oatmeal raisin. It is just so boring that I could never see myself ordering one. At the end of the night, we always had a lot of oatmeal raisins because it seems as though no one buys them. There are people, far and few between, who love oatmeal raisin- but it’s a definite last place from me.

Double Chocolate Mint

I am simply not a mint and chocolate person. I do think it tastes very similar to one of the chocolate mints you can get on your pillow at fancy hotels. However, I am not a fan of how overwhelming the mint flavor is in it or the idea of a minty cookie in general, to be honest.

Gluten-free chocolate chip

It might not be fair to put a gluten-free cookie in comparison with gluten-containing cookies, but it’s important to note that it’s not exactly bad. It uses chocolate chips instead of chocolate chunks, which I firmly believe makes a huge difference in the cookie.

Sugar

I don’t think there’s anything special about their sugar cookies. They have a sort of greasy texture that really drives me away from them. It’s a sugar cookie, so I feel like it’s kind of hard to mess it up.

Vegan chocolate chip

Surprisingly the worst out of the vegan options, it’s just a below-average cookie. It has a chewier texture and rectangular chocolate chips.

Snickerdoodle

People LOVE snickerdoodles, it was easily one of the most sold cookies when I was there. And while I love snickerdoodle cookies, I don’t think the ones from Insomnia are that good. The cinnamon flavor in it always tasted sort of weak, making it seem more like a sugar cookie with a dusting of cinnamon. I do like that it is a bit bigger than the other “classic” cookies while still maintaining a perfect texture.

Double Chocolate Chunk

Double Chocolate Chunk is truly a cookie I have no strong feelings about. It’s a bit too chocolatey for me, but I can see why people like it.

Vegan birthday cake

I really like this one, but I think I tend to overhype it in my mind. It looks a lot better than it tastes. That doesn’t necessarily mean it tastes bad, it’s just not as good as I always think it’ll be. 

PB Chip

With this cookie, I think it can be an incredible cookie- but only under certain conditions. The cookie needs to be baked long enough that it doesn’t fall apart, but not too long that the PB chips start to taste burnt.

Vegan Double Chocolate

The best of the vegan options! You’ll also notice it’s placed above the non-vegan double chocolate chunk. It has a texture similar to a brownie, and its sweetness isn’t too overwhelming.

Classic with M&M’S

SOLID CHOICE. This one is absolute nostalgia for me. Never misses. I will gladly choose this one any day. When it’s warm and the chocolate shell cracks….perfection.

Chocolate Chunk

THE CLASSIC ONE. It’s classic for a reason. I love the way they use chocolate chunks instead of chips (see gluten-free review) because it truly makes for a good cookie-to-chocolate ratio. I also think these are exceptionally good the day after you get them. Insomnia prides itself on its late hours and warm cookies, but what about the “morning-after” cookies? Like the cookies you have for breakfast the next morning, or in your lunch bag. PB Chip and Double Chocolate Mint, for example, are not as good the morning after. But with Chocolate Chunk, it is consistently top-tier.

White Chocolate Macadamia

This one is by far the most slept-on cookies we had. They didn’t sell much, and I always ended up bringing a bunch home at the end of the night. They were absolutely scrumptious. The middle was soft with a subtle coconut taste that was just perfect. The macadamia nuts add a bit of texture that I really enjoy.

All in All, Insomnia has some pretty good cookies, but I think the best thing to do is get the ice cream sandwich. There are also more deluxe cookies that Insomnia sells, along with their seasonal/limited-time items.

Eva Doyne

Emmanuel '25

Hi, I'm Eva! I'm currently a sophomore at Emmanuel College, majoring in Psychology with a minor in Philosophy on the Pre-Law track.