This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

Dear Emmanuel Freshmen,

You’re 18 years old and you step onto new ground. This is a new city. You have new classrooms, a new bed, and you see new faces. Everything is unfamiliar and foreign. I know this experience is nerve wrecking. You probably feel scared or even out of place, but you’re supposed to be here. The next chapter of your life starts now.

I am a senior now and believe me, I have felt what you are feeling right now. I used to be a freshman. I came to Emmanuel College in 2020 right at the peak of Covid-19. Every student was isolated from each other because of the pandemic.If you listen to anything in this article: put yourself out there. When I moved on campus, all students had to be isolated; it was a rule. This made my freshman year lonely and sad. I wish I had a roommate during my first year so if you do, cherish that. Go out and explore the new city with them and even stay in and watch a movie with them. Your roommate is going to be your social backbone for your first year here at Emmanuel College. 

Trust me, you will make friends. Everyone in your grade feels the exact same way you do right now. It is so easy to make friends during your first year of college. In each class you will have friends. During class you will be put into groups for group projects or even group class discussions. The people in your groups will be your friends during freshman year. Also, your roommates’ friends will be your friends and vice versa. By sophomore year, you will figure out who your friend group is and the type of people you want to be friends with.

During my freshman year of college, there were barely any clubs taking place and if they were, they were online. This year Emmanuel College has countless  clubs that meet weekly in-person, so use that to your advantage. Joining clubs is a great way to mingle and make friends with people who have similar interests as you. I have been part of Her Campus at Emmanuel College for three years, and each year I make more friends from the club. It has been a great way for me to form friendships. 

So freshmen, I encourage you to step outside your comfort zone. Explore the city of Boston, go to new restaurants with your friends, join a few clubs. Most importantly, relax. College is not as scary as it seems. 

Madeleine Graves-Witherell is a sophomore studying Communications and Media Studies. She recently has worked with multiple social media platforms, specifically Instagram and TikTok in marketing means. Madeleine is an activist for women's rights and social change. When she is not writing, she is listening to Vance Joy on repeat or reciting The Office quotes.