8 Black Friday Shopping Tips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

After Thanksgiving has ended, Black Friday is the only thing left on people’s minds.  It can easily get hectic, so here are some tips to help you make the most of Black Friday and maximize your time.

1. Make a list of all of the places you are planning on going to ahead of time.

It’s much easier if you have a set plan and can map out going to stores close by around the same time so you aren’t going back and forth.  You save time and get to visit everywhere you want!

2. Go in groups rather than all alone.

Shopping in a group allows you to share the experience, and you can also split up within the store.  Plan a meeting spot and head back there after you find what you were looking for and continue your shopping adventure!

3. Check for flyers that many companies send out far in advance.

Always check the flyers to see if sales are actually worth it.  The advertising may look like a great sale, but after reading the fine print it may be a cheaper model on sale or have other specific conditions.

4. Only go for one “big buy”.

There’s always those few big items that really are a steal, but chances are if you try for a few, you might not get any of them. Try deciding on one specific big item that might be a midnight sale and give yourself time to actually get it.

5. Snag extra discounts with early bird specials.

If you are a dedicated Black Friday shopper, go ahead and take advantage of discounts by being one of the first people at select stores.  These are typically at the midnight openings, but some of the discounts are worth it if you’re up for a long night of waiting in line.

Don’t let the mobs get to you!

6. Don’t stress.

Shopping shouldn’t be stressful, especially after a holiday about being thankful. So, take a breath and relax. There are plenty of sales that go on year-round and there’s no need to make a mad dash for certain items.

7. Don’t let the lines and crowds get to you.

There are so many people all trying to get the same items and it can be overwhelming, but don’t let the crowds get to you! Just be cautious and aware of where you are walking and that you don’t lose people you may have brought with you.

8. Remember, there’s always Cyber Monday.

In recent years, Cyber Monday has become more popular because many people favor online shopping over physically going to stores. Cyber Monday tends to have similar sales as Black Friday options, so if you can’t make it out, don’t worry – there’s still Cyber Monday!

Hopefully these tips will help you to have a successful Black Friday that goes as smoothly as possible. Just remember to stick to your plan to save time and get what you really need. Good luck this year and we hope you get everything that you want!                                                                                                        

Hi my name is Jess Tartaglio and I am a current sophomore at Emmanuel College in Boston. I am studying for a bachelor's in graphic design with a minor in business. Along with Her Campus I dance through Colleges of the Fenway.
Her Campus Emmanuel