7 Shower Songs I Missed when I had the Frat Flu

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

After one month, I finally feel as if I am through the Emmanuel College Plague. There’s been an annoying virus going around on this campus and many other colleges across the country according to my TikTok feed. Mine started mid-October, and after weeks of sore throats, big tonsils, and even a week of pink eye—I finally feel better. My voice is back, which was the last symptom that lingered this month. 

I couldn’t sing throughout this entire time. Ask any of my roommates and they will confirm that I am usually humming, or, okay fine, full-volume singing along to something as I cook, shower, or clean. I haven’t been able to until this week. I’ve missed it. I’ve noticed a difference in my stress level and my ability to relax. It is such a treat to have my voice back. 

Here are 7 songs that have been making my playlist that I missed singing along to in the shower. It’s not all Taylor Swift, but she is present and accounted for. 

1. “Cornelia Street (Live From Paris)” – Taylor Swift

I couldn’t hit that final chorus even on a good day. I definitely can’t after a month of not singing, but that doesn’t mean I am going to stop trying. 

Go-To (attempted) Beltable Lyric: 

And baby, I get mystified by how this city screams your name

And baby, I’m so terrified of if you ever walk away

I’d never walk Cornelia Street again

2. “Jackie and Wilson” – Hozier

This is one of my favorites to belt along with. Something about the melody makes me feel like the life I am meant to live includes: my partner, our Lexus, two kids, and never-ending mid-life crises. And I don’t want kids, so this random flash of a future is a lot to handle and to process. Hozier is just that talented of a musician. Yes, tall man. I, a lesbian, want to be the subject of this song and have a Lexus and kids. 

Go-To Beltable Lyric:

And, Lord, she found me just in time

‘Cause with my mid-youth crisis all said and done

I need to be youthfully felt ’cause, God, I never felt young

3. “Light On” – Maggie Rogers

Maggie Rogers is a new find for me, and one I am so thankful for who has popped up on my Spotify! This one has an especially catchy chorus, one I cannot stop humming throughout my day. Yes, Maggie. You’re right. I am still dancing at the end of the day!

Go-To (attempted) Beltable Lyric: 

Oh, if you keep reaching out

Then I’ll keep coming back

And if you’re gone for good

Then I’m okay with that

If you leave the light on

Then I’ll leave the light on

4. “The 1” (long pond studio session) – Taylor Swift

I cannot write a music list piece without including this version of this song. It’s perfect. It’s in my range, so I feel like a god every time I nail the riff at the end. I am not giving up hope that the evermore long pond studio sessions will be released one day. I need them. 

Favorite Beltable Lyric:

We never painted by the numbers, baby

But we were making it count

You know the greatest loves of all time are over now

5. “Apartment 402” – girl in red

Okay, this is up there for girl in red’s best song. It builds into a tragic bridge that feels like a dagger has been thrusted into my chest and twisted. It hurts, okay. It hurts a lot. I am desperately trying to get tickets to her Boston show. I will be there with every other lesbian in Boston. Mark my words.

Favorite Beltable Lyric:

There’s a dissonance in all that I do

Yeah, nothing feels right or true

Black out on the floor just once more

6. “Brando” – Lucy Dacus

This Lucy Dacus song sounds like it was made for a movie montage scene, a mosaic of moments in a doomed, deeply imperfect relationship.  I saw her recently in concert and this was my favorite from the whole night.

Favorite Beltable Lyric:

That’s only something you would say in the car

We’ve been breathing the same air for too long

If the snow wasn’t coming down so hard

I would open the door and walk home, it’s only a couple miles

7. “Almost (Sweet Music)” – Hozier

One day I am going to learn to do the background percussion snaps and claps while I sing. It’s possible. This is my favorite Hozier song and one that will forever be my #1 Spotify song of all time. It’s untouchable. It’s a love letter to music influences and those we find community with through music. 

Favorite Beltable Lyric: 

I wouldn’t know where to start

“Sweet Music” playing “In The Dark”

Be still “My Foolish Heart, “

Don’t ruin this on me

While I was sick, on the nights I was desperately wishing I could just hop in the shower and belt out one of my favorite tunes, I made a playlist of all these songs. Now, I get to just instantly hop in after a long day and know that one of my favorite coping skills will be waiting for me. Stay well, stay healthy, and find things that make you feel good!

Lauren Smith

Emmanuel '23

Lauren Smith (she/they) is a student at Emmanuel College studying Theater Arts and Writing, Editing, and Publishing. Personality wise, she considers herself a mix of Nancy Drew and Cher Horowitz. In her free time, she's busy making earrings, watching Criminal Minds, and baking banana bread.