5 Thoughts of a First-Year Student in Boston

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

If you’re anything like me, you see college as an opportunity to get away from your small-town home. If you’re especially brave, you might even venture out into the largest college town in the country, Boston. Of course, this is a major change in your life; not only are you leaving for college, but you are experiencing it in an entirely different atmosphere than you’re used to. In preparation of this culture shock, let me share my observations from my freshman year of college with you.

1. The people- One thing I noticed one of my first weekends in Boston is the majority of the population is college students. This makes for great conversation with people on the street, given that they are essentially in the same boat as you. This was a standout difference for me, since where I’m from, the retired community definitely outnumbers the college-aged kids!

2. The events- Speaking of the many college students, there are many fun activities in Boston that cater to us! This could mean anything from music festivals to discounted duck tours (a bucket list item for many living in Boston). But mostly, it means numerous action-packed weekends– and even then you will have more to see.

3. The sports- Growing up in a family of Yankees and Giants fanatics, I knew that my preference in sports teams would be a conversation starter to say the least. The people in Boston worship sports heroes such as Tom Brady and Big Papi. So, even if you prefer other teams, it is easy to jump on the bandwagons of these local teams in Boston.

4. The surrounding schools- Boston is the home of 35 different colleges, which makes for an especially unique college experience in itself. It makes it simple to mix and mingle with people from schools a block away from you, then retreat back to your home base to find familiar faces.

5. The atmosphere- And of course, the city atmosphere in general is always a stark contrast to the small town you may be used to. You trade in the quiet countryside for the busy, fast-paced city. Once you get used to the sounds of the lively city, you tend to not remember the silent nights you fell asleep to growing up. However, this is not to say you would give up your nights in the city for the world, because these are the nights you’ll always remember.

So, whether you’re considering going to school in Boston or you’ve been in Boston for years, you can agree that Boston is the place to be for a college experience like no other. After experiencing this great city firsthand, I can say with certainty that I couldn’t imagine being anywhere else. Stay Boston strong!

Gianna is a freshman at Emmanuel College and is really excited to see what this year has in store for her. Along with writing for Her Campus, Gianna participates in Yoga Club, Zumba Club, and Colleges of the Fenway Dance Project. In her free time, you will most likely find her watching Friends and sipping tea out of her Central Perk mug.