5 Survival Tips for Transfer Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

Transferring schools is a significant decision and you probably didn’t make it lightly, I know I didn’t. Now school has finally started and despite your best efforts to stay positive, adjusting to a new school isn’t as easy as you thought. I don’t know about you, but for some reason I naively thought that because I had already been through a year and a half of college, that it wouldn’t take me that long to fall into a new college community. So, to all my fellow transfers, here are five survival tips that will help make the adjustment just a little easier.

1. School Spirit!

Get involved on campus! You have probably heard this about a hundred times from your orientation leaders, but there is a reason for that. Getting involved on campus is a great way to meet people, make friends and even build up your resume. If there is a campus club fair, go to it! If there is a sports team that interests you, go try out! If there is a campus job that interests you, send in an application! If there is a play you want to audition for, go audition! The possibilities are endless! Trust me, the more you immerse yourself, the sooner you will stop feeling like an outsider and more like a part of the community.

2. Eat in the cafeteria!

I know that it’s daunting to walk into the big cafeteria full of new faces and even more so if you have no one to sit with, but I encourage you to brave this battle. If you have no one to sit with, try sitting at the end of a big table of people and when the time is right jump in on the conversation. Or maybe you see a familiar face of someone you met briefly or that you recognize from one of your classes, go sit with that person. I know how intimidating the cafeteria can be and we all get shy when we don’t know people, that’s completely normal. However, the key in the adjustment process is stepping outside of your comfort zone.

3. Be a conversationalist! 

I’m guessing that making friends is not as easy as you remember. In my experience, I did not recall making new friends as difficult as it became when I transferred. As an extrovert, I was shocked to discover how much I was struggling, but the truth is making a new community is hard and whether you are an extrovert or an introvert, you may have a hard time. So I encourage you to use these easy conversation starters, “Hi, my name is….., what’s yours?”, “What’s your major?”, “What year are you?”, “I’m a transfer student, so I’m new to the school”. Maybe you have some conversation starters of your own that you like to use, if so, use those! It’s all about starting conversations!

4. New school….new you!

Although it may seem daunting to start all over again, this is actually a great time to discover a little more about yourself. This is a time for change, take advantage of the new opportunities that may come your way. Take it from me, you’ll be glad you did! I used to be a ballet dancer and a girl who avoided all other athletic activities and in the process of transferring schools and starting over, I took up boxing and started going to more sporting events. Trying something new can be incredibly liberating, help you find out more about who you are and ultimately add to the community and life that you are rebuilding.

5. NO SHAME!

Lastly, don’t be ashamed of the fact that you are starting over, rather embrace the awesomeness of the strength and courage that you displayed in making this choice. Making a choice to better your quality of life and career is never something to be ashamed of. You haven’t failed, you have merely begun! There is so much left in your college journey that you are about to embark on, whether it’s two more or three more year for you, embrace it!

Elise Kline

Emmanuel '20

Elise is currently studying as an undergraduate at Emmanuel College in Boston with a major in Communications & Media Studies. This is her third year with Her Campus and she is more than ready to adventure into another year of all things related to politics, social justice, empowerment, lifestyle and more! She loves writing, watching rom coms and kickboxing!
Gianna is a freshman at Emmanuel College and is really excited to see what this year has in store for her. Along with writing for Her Campus, Gianna participates in Yoga Club, Zumba Club, and Colleges of the Fenway Dance Project. In her free time, you will most likely find her watching Friends and sipping tea out of her Central Perk mug.