5 Not So Scary Halloween Movies To Get You in the Spirit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

So here’s something to know about me: I am OBSESSED with Halloween. I love everything about it: the decorations, the weather, the costumes, and of course, the movies. To me, there’s nothing better than curling up with a blanket, sipping some hot cocoa, and watching a Halloween movie. Now, while I enjoy horror movies, I can understand that it’s not everyone’s cup of tea. If you’re not super into the scares but still want to get in the spirit (do you get it?), then check out this list of not so scary movies!

Corpse Bride

This is my favorite movie of all time. It’s got a creepy vibe but it uses it to create a beautiful, sad story about a woman who is simply dying for love. Victor is set to marry Victoria, but his nerves keep getting in the way. When practicing his vows in the woods, he accidentally marries a corpse, a jilted woman named Emily who takes him to the land of the dead. It’s sad, sweet, and has a great message about what freedom truly is.

The Craft

This movie is a cult classic. It follows a group of high school girls who learn they have magical powers and create a coven. At first it’s harmless magic, changing appearances, helping each other out, but it soon turns sinister, and it seems like the girls may be in over their heads. While this one might creep a few people out, the scariest thing about it is the choices the girls make, and the cost of getting caught up in something they don’t fully understand.

The Addams Family

Could I really make a list like this and not include The Addams Family? This movie is incredible, and features a freaky family and the hijinks they get up to. It begins when Gomez Addams mourns the absence of his brother Fester who he has not seen in 25 years. A con artist discovers her adopted son greatly resembles him, and uses him to infiltrate the Addams house in order to steal their riches. With fantastic one liners from daughter Wednesday and great parenting from Morticia and Gomez, it’s truly a treat for the whole family.

Monster House

DJ, Chowder, and Jenny are in for a spell when they mess with the wrong house. Mr. Nebbercracker is a grouchy old man who takes anything that lands in his yard, becoming the stuff of legend and conspiracy. When DJ and Chowder have had enough and decide to get their toys back, they end up trapped in the house, realizing there is much more going on than meets the eye.

The Nightmare Before Christmas

Would it truly be a Halloween movie list without this iconic Tim Burton feature? There really is nothing like it. When Jack Skellington, the Pumpkin King, gets tired of Halloween, he gets wrapped up in the new and shiny world of Christmastown. He decides that he and his gang of witches, zombies, and creepy children are going to try and do Christmas instead, leading to a host of problems for everyone involved. The best part about this movie is that you can watch it throughout the entire holiday season!

Make sure to enjoy these photos with a hot drink and a bucket of popcorn, and let the Halloween spirit take over!

Gifs courtesy of Giphy

Victoria Dias

Emmanuel '20

Theater and Communications Major. Dog Lover. Amateur Writer. 
Gianna is a freshman at Emmanuel College and is really excited to see what this year has in store for her. Along with writing for Her Campus, Gianna participates in Yoga Club, Zumba Club, and Colleges of the Fenway Dance Project. In her free time, you will most likely find her watching Friends and sipping tea out of her Central Perk mug.