5 Classic Movies for the Ultimate Saturday Night In

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

During this pandemic, spending the weekend watching movies and TV shows has become a weekly occurrence as maintaining social distance remains a priority. While there are plenty of contemporary options for shows and films alike, sometimes it’s refreshing to change up the routine and have a throwback movie night. This list of five films are just a few of the best classics for a movie night.

When Harry Met Sally – 1989

With it’s hilariously witty dialogue and charming characters, this film goes down in history as simply one of the best romances of all time. When Harry Met Sally follows the lives of two people who met while sharing a ride to New York City together. The film chronicles their relationships with others, and each other, as they attempt to navigate romance in the big city.

Psycho – 1960 

Hitchock’s Psycho is the ideal classic horror movie for a weekend movie night either alone, or at a socially distant movie night with friends. Psycho, a story about a woman on the run who encounters a strange situation when she stays the night at the Bates Motel, is equal parts creepy and fun. Hitchcock’s masterful directing makes this story a timeless classic that will never fail to get your heart racing without any cheap jump-scares.

Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure – 1989

This ridiculously delightful film is the perfect movie to watch when you need something uplifting and positive after a bad day (or week). Alex Winter and Keanu Reeves star as two best friends who happen to discover time travel, and attempt to use it in order to pass their history class. Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure is the ideal quirky comedy for a lighthearted night-in.

Labyrinth – 1986

Labyrinth is a fantastical and bizarre adventure. The film revolves around a teenaged girl named Sarah (Jennifer Connelly) who must traverse through a surreal maze in order to save her baby brother from the Goblin King (David Bowie). Jim Henson’s expertise in world-building is put on full display in this film, and his strange sets are able to evoke that long-forgotten childlike wonder. Although casting David Bowie as a lead character in a children’s film may have seemed like an odd decision, somehow, all the strange aspects of this wild film blend together to make a perfectly weird masterpiece that is as amusing as it is surprising.

Star Wars: A New Hope – 1977

Rebellion, intergalactic tyranny, Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher!  What more could you want in a futuristic space western? While any of the Star Wars films could have made this list of classic movies, the original 1977 film is the movie that made history. Since many of us are working and studying from home, Star Wars is the perfect film for those that need their adventure fix. 

Carly Silva

Emmanuel '21

Carly is a senior at Emmanuel College pursuing a major in English Writing, Editing, and Publishing, as well as Communications and Media Studies. She loves to write and has a particular fondness for poetry. Carly also loves reading on the beach, playing music, and hanging out with her dog, Mowgli.