Style

4 Environmentally Friendly Brands for your Christmas List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

The environment is currently the most important thing we as a people need to protect. There are many things that affect the decline of the environment and the increase of global warming, including fast fashion. Fast fashion means clothing that is made quickly and cheaply so that consumers and fashion retailer can buy and sell at a lower price. This, however, means that these clothes aren’t high quality and consumers are more likely to throw their clothes after about a year or two of use. Fast fashion has caused mountains of garbage filled with clothes, excess carbon emissions in the clothing factories and shipment of the clothing, and poor quality of living for the people making the clothes for a low rate. Although it’s cheap and convenient, when you buy fast fashion, you are supporting companies that overwork and underpaid textile workers, as well as companies that don’t care about the environment’s health. Fast fashion companies include brands like Gap, H&M, Zara, Target, Asos, and many others. In order to clear your conscious this christmas and steer clear of fast fashion, here are 4 environmentally friendly fashion brands to add to your Christmas list.

Patagonia 

Patagonia’s policy as a company is all about going green. They have repair centers around the world to prevent people from throwing away clothing, increase the longevity of their products, and lower their carbon footprint. In 2016 alone, they pledged $10 million of their sales to grassroots environmental groups dedicated to preserving and saving the planet.

Nordstrom 

This LA based brand makes their jeans with sustainable fabrics and with ⅓ of the water regularly needed to denim. They also recycle their fabric so the small excesses don’t go to waste. Their hardware, like the buttons on jeans, are even recycled material.

Alternative Apparel 

Their brand packaging is biodegradable, which means they save about 2,100 trees, 

860,000 gallons of water, and 400 cubic yards of landfill per year!  All of their clothes are 

made with organic and recyclable materials, low impact dyes, and water conserving 

washes.

Madewell

Although many may not typically think of Madewell as an environmentally friendly 

brand, it is. They partner with Fair Trade USA to ensure their products are being made in 

safe conditions. One cool thing about this brand is if you have an old pair of jeans you 

don’t wear anymore, you can donate them at any store and they’ll be turned into housing 

insulation for those around the world. You also receive $20 off a brand new pair of jeans 

when you donate your old ones with them. Win win!

Rosemary murphy

Emmanuel '20

Rosemary is currently enrolled as a senior at Emmanuel College in Boston. She is involved on campus and enjoys exploring the city in her free time. After graduation, she hopes to move up in the editing and publishing world.
Carly Silva

Emmanuel '21

Carly is a senior at Emmanuel College pursuing a major in English Writing, Editing, and Publishing, as well as Communications and Media Studies. She loves to write and has a particular fondness for poetry. Carly also loves reading on the beach, playing music, and hanging out with her dog, Mowgli.