This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

2020, a year that has tested all of our patience and aggravated our mental health to no end. Under these duressing times, many have turned to outlets related to the performing arts. Whether it’s learning the WAP dance, binge-watching every movie or TV series you could possibly be interested in, or listening to music. 

Read below for 25 throwback music artists that will surely make you scream sing the lyrics to their songs, dance like nobody’s watching, and turn your location into a performance stage. If you do not already have these classic hits in your happy playlist, go add them. They are guaranteed to boost your serotonin levels.

1. Natasha Bedingfield’s “Unwritten” 

I scream these lyrics whenever I hear this song no matter where I am. Natasha Bedingfield is a big mood. 

2. Myra’s “Miracles Happen” 

“You are Amelia Mignonette Thermopolis Renaldi Princess of Genovia” -Queen Clarisse. I don’t know about you but I listen to this and literally try and manifest myself into the Princess of Genovia. 

3. Destiny’s Child’s “Say My Name” and “Survivor” 

Destiny’s Child. Enough said. True queens. True timeless music. 

4. Whitney Houston’s “I Wanna Dance with Somebody,” “So Emotional,”and “It’s Not Right But It’s Okay” 

ANYTHING by the Queen is a sure mood booster. 

5. Spice Girls “I Wanna Be” 

Let’s be honest, diving into Spiceworld is always a good idea. Their music is bubbly and uplifting. We can all use a little spoonful of that from time to time, especially when we are feeling blue.  

6. Corinne Bailey Rae’s “Put Your Records On” 

I find it hard to believe that anyone could not smile listening to Corinne. 

7. Pat Benatar’s “Love Is A BattleField” 

This song immediately takes me back to 13 Going on 30 and I really aspire for those Jenna Rink Big Time Magazine Editor vibes. Even if this song doesn’t transport you back to 13 Going on 30, Pat Benatar is an icon and her music is truly timeless. 

8. Abba’s “Dancing Queen” and “Mamma Mia” 

If you don’t break out into song and dance, you will at least smile listening to the uplifting masterpieces of ABBA.

9. Alicia Keys’ “No One” and “Fallin’”

*Let the concert begin*

10. The Backstreet Boys’ “Everybody” and of course, “I Want it That Way” 

It could be my 2000’s boy band obsession, but my love for the Backstreet Boys is truly the realest love I’ve ever known. I really don’t know how anyone can not sing along to their songs. 

11. NSYNC’s “Bye Bye Bye”

ANYTHING by NSYNC. No question. 

12. TLC’s “No Scrubs” 

*Chef’s kiss*

13. Brittney Spears’ “Baby One More Time,” “Womanizer,” “Toxic,” and “Work B***”

Embracing my inner Brittney is one of my favorite things to do. Listen to anything from her 2000’s hits and free your inner Brittney, you will not regret it. 

14. Willa Ford’s “I Wanna Be Bad” 

This song always immediately brings me back to that scene in “What a Girl Wants” where Amanda Bynes accidentally ends up on the runway and struts with confidence. The best thing about her character Daphne, is that she strives to stay true to who she is no matter what anyone else thinks. An iconic artist and an iconic film character who portrays the story, “I Wanna Be Bad’ is an excellent song that will very likely boost your mood if needed. 

15. Taylor Swift’s “Love Story,” “Our Song,” and “Shake It Off”

You don’t need to be a swiftie to enjoy Taylor Swift, especially her original albums. 

16. La Roux’s “Bulletproof” 

This song is truly empowering and really gives off bad b*** vibes. I think we all need that. 

17. U2’s “Beautiful Day”

This song is literally the definition of happiness. U2 is iconic and if they aren’t in any of your playlists already, definitely add them. 

18. The Killers’ “Mr. Brightside” 

UGH, this band and this song. Scream these lyrics and jump up and down every single time. 

19. Madonna’s “Crazy for You” 

Madonna. Enough said.

20. Rihanna’s “Umbrella” 

Throwback to my dramatic middle school self singing this song like I was in the music video staring out my mom’s car window as it rained. 

21. Katy Perry’s “Hot N Cold”

*Insert middle school slumber party flashbacks*

22. OutKast’s “Hey Ya” 

My dancer self always comes out for this one. 

23. Gwen Stefani’s “Hollaback Girl” 

“Uh-huh that’s my sh**” It is, it really is Gwen. I ain’t no hollaback girl. 

24. Shakira’s “Hips Don’t Lie” 

This song has me thinking I’m a professional salsa dancer every single time. 

25. Amy Winehouse’s “Valerie” 

This is a personal favorite of mine—my go-to happy song. Highly recommended!   

Whether it’s one of the songs from this throwback list or other throwback artists that you love, I highly recommend making a throwback playlist to help with those COVID blues. Music truly is the best therapy.

Elise Kline

Emmanuel '20

Elise is currently studying as an undergraduate at Emmanuel College in Boston with a major in Communications & Media Studies. This is her third year with Her Campus and she is more than ready to adventure into another year of all things related to politics, social justice, empowerment, lifestyle and more! She loves writing, watching rom coms and kickboxing!
Carly Silva

Emmanuel '21

Carly is a senior at Emmanuel College pursuing a major in English Writing, Editing, and Publishing, as well as Communications and Media Studies. She loves to write and has a particular fondness for poetry. Carly also loves reading on the beach, playing music, and hanging out with her dog, Mowgli.