20 Things You Can Relate to If You’re a Total Hot Mess

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

Let’s be honest, college and adult life is hard and can seem even harder when you feel like a total and complete “hot mess” 99 percent of the time . You may even feel like your abilities that qualify you as a hot mess are so much more extra than most of your friends and consequently makes you feel even more alone. Well, have I got news for you, nothing could be further from the truth. Everyone is on their own struggle bus; some people are just better at hiding it than others. So, without further ado, here are 20 things you can relate to if you are a total hot mess.

1. You’re Clumsy AF

There can be a variety of severity levels to the accident-prone quality of a “hot mess”, but essentially anything and everything becomes a safety hazard.

2. Always forgets an umbrella when it’s pouring down rain

When you have to be somewhere important, you’re in a rush, you always forget to check the weather and walk outside to the most ridiculous flooding rain storm of the century.

3. Dramatically falling/tripping in public becomes normal

This is directly related to one’s clumsy ability as a “hot mess”, only this includes one’s ability to not only dramatically injure oneself, but to do so in front of a significant amount of people.

4. If you have ever gotten stuck in a sweater or sweatshirt

Extra “hot mess” points if this happens to you often in front of people.

5. Trying to open a bag of anything hard to clean up…spilling it everywhere

Whether it’s a bag of chips, packing peanuts or something else that’s small and impossible to clean, No matter how careful you are, that bag you’re trying to open will explode and you will make an absolute mess.

6. Knocking over any sort of display in a store

7. Dropping groceries on the way home

8. Confidently shouting the wrong answer at your professor

9. Any sort of awkward mishap that happens in front of your crush

There are a variety of situations that can happen in this case, ranging from spills, wardrobe malfunctions, nervous word vomiting etc. In any case, these situations most often lead you to the box of shame.

10. Locking yourself out of your place

Most likely happens at the worst possible time and has to wait a significant amount of time before being let back inside.

11. Your friends can re-call all of your “hot mess” stories still laughing because they’re that ridiculous

12. Sleeps through alarm, has to get to class or work in 2.5 seconds

13. Wearing something inside out

14. Owning at least one item of clothing that you either sewed or glued back together

Due to the fact that you either accidentally cut a hole in your clothing or broke a heel.

15. Always the life of the party because you’re that unintentionally extra

16. You live for movies that represent your “hot mess” status like Bridesmaids, I Feel Pretty, Life of the Party, You Again, etc.  

17. You live for shows that represent your “hot mess” status like FriendsModern Family, Two Broke Girls, etc.

18. Often ugly cries in front of people

19. Vents out the entire drama of your day to a total stranger

20. Any decision under the influence of alcohol

You better believe that all of your “hot mess” qualities are exaggerated times ten when you add alcohol.

We can all relate to qualifying as a “hot mess” and that’s not necessarily a bad thing. Embrace all of these qualities and take comfort in the fact that every single one of us can relate to being a mess. Let’s all take the inspiring words on Hannah Montana, “Nobody’s perfect!”

Elise Kline

Emmanuel '20

Elise is currently studying as an undergraduate at Emmanuel College in Boston with a major in Communications & Media Studies. This is her third year with Her Campus and she is more than ready to adventure into another year of all things related to politics, social justice, empowerment, lifestyle and more! She loves writing, watching rom coms and kickboxing!
Gianna is a freshman at Emmanuel College and is really excited to see what this year has in store for her. Along with writing for Her Campus, Gianna participates in Yoga Club, Zumba Club, and Colleges of the Fenway Dance Project. In her free time, you will most likely find her watching Friends and sipping tea out of her Central Perk mug.