10 Romance Movies to Watch on Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

Whether you’re planning to celebrate Valentine’s Day with a significant other or not, these movies are a classic way to spend V-Day. Curl up with someone you love, or a tub of ice cream and popcorn and enjoy some of these romantic movies!

1. The Vow

When two lovers undergo a major car accident, their love fights to survive. Rachel McAdams and Channing Tatum star in a classic Nicholas Sparks love story that will both break your heart and melt it.

2. 50 Shades of Grey

This hot movie franchise is perfect for you and your valentine. If you’re looking to get out of the house for the holiday, 50 Shades Freed just hit theaters!  

3. Safe Haven

After escaping an abusive relationship, Katie Feldman (Julianne Hough), flees to a small town in North Carolina to find love and safety. Safe Haven has just enough action to keep you on the edge of your seat, yet it’s still romantic enough for Valentine’s Day.

4. The Lucky One

Another classic Nicholas Sparks story, The Lucky One features everyone’s favorite, Zac Efron, and star of Orange is the New Black, Taylor Schilling.

5. 27 Dresses

This romantic comedy is always a classic. Watch the bridesmaid of 27 weddings (Katherine Heigl) finally become the bride.   

6. The Fault in Our Stars

Based on John Green’s famous novel, this tragic love story will definitely have you bawling by the end, but in the best way.

7. Bridesmaids

Okay, so this isn’t really a romance movie, but Bridesmaids is a hilarious film that everyone can laugh at; it’s perfect for a not-too-mushy V-day.

8.  Valentine’s Day

This appropriately titled movie follows the love stories of multiple couples that all somehow intertwine. It features major stars such as Julia Roberts, Patrick Dempsey, Ashton Kutcher, Emma Roberts, Bradley Cooper, and of course, Taylor Swift.

9. 50 First Dates

Another classic comedy, 50 First Dates, starring Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore, follows a woman with a memory loss condition who goes on a new first date each day. It’s moving, but also hilarious at the same time. I mean, it’s Adam Sandler, what else could you expect?

10. The Notebook

And of course, the most classic romance film of all time. The Notebook is a complete MUST for Valentine’s Day. It tracks the love of two soulmates until they reach their old age. It’s a beautiful story and will in fact make you cry every time.

Carly Silva

Emmanuel '21

Carly is a senior at Emmanuel College pursuing a major in English Writing, Editing, and Publishing, as well as Communications and Media Studies. She loves to write and has a particular fondness for poetry. Carly also loves reading on the beach, playing music, and hanging out with her dog, Mowgli. 
Gianna is a freshman at Emmanuel College and is really excited to see what this year has in store for her. Along with writing for Her Campus, Gianna participates in Yoga Club, Zumba Club, and Colleges of the Fenway Dance Project. In her free time, you will most likely find her watching Friends and sipping tea out of her Central Perk mug.