10 Reasons that Hallmark Christmas Movies Help You ‘Sleigh’ the Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

It’s that time of year, truly the most wonderful time of year, when it is socially acceptable to binge as many Hallmark movies as we please. I think a majority of us can agree, even non-Hallmark fans, that Hallmark Christmas movies are a great way to get into the holiday spirit. So, without further ado, here are 10 reasons that Hallmark movies help you ‘sleigh’ the holiday season.

1. Same Plot

Does every Hallmark Christmas movie have the same plot? Yes. Am I still going to watch every single one anyways? Abso-freakin-lutely. Why? Because I am a firm believer in pursuing your own happiness, and watching predictable, sappy, feel-good Hallmark Christmas movies is an awesome way to do that, especially during Christmas.

2. #Relatable

I don’t know about you, but those predictable workaholic characters that learn the true meaning of Christmas from their future significant other that they fall in love with, are actually super relatable. Especially living in a fast paced city and being surrounded by hundreds of career-focused individuals, sometimes it’s just nice to be reminded that even something as simple as holiday spirit can make us feel more grounded.

3. Good Healthy Values

Every single Hallmark movie ever made, especially Christmas features, are centered around portraying good values like honesty, bravery, kindness, forgiveness, generosity, self-love and more! What’s not to love about that?

4. #Christmasgoals  

Everything in Hallmark Christmas movies is #Christmasgoals, from extravagant decorations to winter wonderland feels and making the perfect gingerbread house. Hallmark Christmas will for sure inspire you.

5. Setting high standards for your significant other since 2001

Ladies, the Hallmark hunks may be fictional, but the values for which you should be treated stand. Susan’s love interest takes her ice skating, helps her decorate her Christmas tree, helps her overcome her fears, and most importantly shows her how much he truly cares for her because that’s true love in the spirit of Christmas, and if that isn’t a prime example of #relationshipgoals, I don’t know what is.

6. The Christmas inspo is so real

Let’s face it, even if you aren’t a typical Hallmark Christmas movie enthusiast, these movies put you in a festive mood and inspire you to go make some handcrafted decorations, like Susan did and have it turn out to be the most beautiful Christmas creation ever made.

7. Nice study break!

To all my fellow college gals, this is a P.S.A. that you absolutely need to hear: cozy blanket snuggles, hot chocolate and Hallmark Christmas movies are the perfect combination for a lovely and much needed study break during the chaos of college finals week. Treat yourself to a well deserved Hallmark movie break.

8. THE perfect platform for artsy gift ideas

If you are artistically challenged or just need some ideas for how to dazzle your friends and family with your gift giving abilities, Hallmark is here for you.

9. #Familygoals

As a family oriented channel, Hallmark never fails to disappoint when it comes to #familygoals. Especially because, despite popular opinion,  they actually don’t portray the unrealistic cookie cutter family with no problems. Rather, they show the challenges that can come with family dynamics and then reveal a happy ending where a solution is found. Isn’t that all of us? None of us have a perfect family, but we can always find a way to work it out and it’s nice to be reminded of that, especially during the holidays.

10. The true meaning of Christmas

Lastly, and most importantly, Hallmark Christmas movies really do teach us the true meaning of Christmas.

Elise Kline

Emmanuel '20

Elise is currently studying as an undergraduate at Emmanuel College in Boston with a major in Communications & Media Studies. This is her third year with Her Campus and she is more than ready to adventure into another year of all things related to politics, social justice, empowerment, lifestyle and more! She loves writing, watching rom coms and kickboxing!
Gianna is a freshman at Emmanuel College and is really excited to see what this year has in store for her. Along with writing for Her Campus, Gianna participates in Yoga Club, Zumba Club, and Colleges of the Fenway Dance Project. In her free time, you will most likely find her watching Friends and sipping tea out of her Central Perk mug.