This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Zami: A New Spelling of My Name was written by the profound poet Audre Lorde, who is known for writing about her experiences as both a lesbian woman and a Black woman. The book was published in 1982 and falls under the genre “biomythography.” Biomythography is a genre which combines both biography and myth. In Zami: A New Spelling of My Name it is very evident that through the telling of Lorde’s life there can be important lessons learned, which is why the book successfully combines both her biography and the lessons she learned throughout her life. The book follows her experience with growing up, her unstable relationship with her mother, her discoveries within her sexuality, her experiences as a Black woman in racist America, her love for other women in her life, her political views, and her journey of being a Black lesbian in the 1950s. 

teacup with flower and book page
Photo by Debby Hudson from Unsplash

Zami: A New Spelling of My Name drew me in as soon as I began reading it. The stories of Audre Lorde’s life are truly fascinating and put her struggles into perspective. Not only are her stories interesting, but also they leave you thinking and teach you important lessons. The way she writes is very unique and poetic; the book is a captivating read. Zami: A New Spelling of My Name was one of the first books to truly discuss intersectional feminism. Audre Lorde’s journey through her teen years into adulthood includes many life lessons as well as brings awareness to what life is like as a Black lesbian woman in America. 

I feel that everyone should take the time to read Zami: A New Spelling of My Name. I did not want to put the book down. Audre Lorde’s work inspired me to begin reading and writing again and has made me see life in a different lense.

Rachel Tarby

Emerson '24

My name is Rachel and I am a freshman at Emerson College. I am a Writing, Literature, & Publishing major. I'm from upstate New York. I have always loved reading and writing. I like music, hiking, exploring abandoned spaces, and kayaking. Instagram: @rachel_tarby
Emerson contributor