books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

Your Next Summer Read

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Finals are approaching, and that means the approach of something even better: summer! And summer means more free time to do the things you want, including actually reading for fun. Here are a few suggestions of things to read once you’re free from studying and assigned readings.

1. All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven

This one is for young adult fans and anyone who loved Eleanor and Park and The Fault in Our Stars. It tells the story of death-obsessed Finch and Violet, two teens in Indiana who cross paths and learn how to be themselves around each other. Niven is being hailed as a new voice in YA, so it’s definitely worth the read!

2. All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr

Stay on top of the game by reading the latest Pulitzer Prize winner. It’s a World War II novel that focuses on the lives of a blind woman and a man who loves radios and how their paths cross. According to Doerr’s website, it “illuminates the ways, against all odds, people try to be good to one another”, so it’s certain to be moving.

3. Royal Wedding: A Princess Diaries Novel by Meg Cabot

For any one who gobbled these books up in middle school, Mia is back and finally marrying Michael! In the eleventh book in the series, Mia is now out of college and newly engaged. But of course, getting hitched cannot go off without a hitch. Get lost in this new installment about everyone’s real favorite Disney princess.

4. Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee

This past winter, Harper Lee announced she’d be releasing a sequel to To Kill a Mockingbird. The book was written before the classic novel and is about grown-up Scout returning to Alabama to visit her father. This may not be required reading like To Kill a Mockingbird was in high school, but you’ll be sure to want to read it anyway.

5. The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins

If you liked Gone Girl, this is the book for you. Rachel takes the commuter train home everyday. One day, she witnesses a crime from the moving train and gets tangled up with the police and those involved. It’s a book that you won’t be able to put down!

It’s tempting to resort to mind-numbing summer activities to give your brain a break after a long school year. But with these books, you’ll be treating yourself, for sure!

Erin is a junior at Emerson College studying journalism, publishing, and writing. She comes from southeastern Massachusetts and enjoys reading magazines, getting hooked on new TV shows, traveling, and spending time with her dog. Erin hopes to pursue a career in magazine writing. You can follow her on Twitter at @erin_kayata.
Emerson contributor