Winter-Themed Books to Add to Your Reading List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Winter break, though it seems far away because of the dread of finals, is fast approaching. That means it’s time to start planning ways to recuperate from the stress of this semester and catch up on all the fun things you’ve wanted to do but have had zero time for. If you’re a book lover, you probably have a growing to-read list for the upcoming break. Here are my top picks for winter and holiday books to read this season.

1.) One Day in December by Josie Silver

This holiday romance is all about love at first sight and the power of destiny. It might sound cheesy at first glance, but it has been highly praised by readers and authors alike. The three main characters (Laurie, Sarah, and Jack) embark on a ten-year journey in pursuit of happiness and the struggle to understand fate. Heartwarming and fun, this novel will be a pick-me-up to get you into the holiday spirit.

2.) The Afterlife of Holly Chase by Cynthia Hand

This young-adult fantasy is a retelling of A Christmas Carol. Holly Chase is the Scrooge of this novel, and after she fails to change her ways, she dies and becomes the new Ghost of Christmas Past. This fun novel is an interesting take on the original Dickens tale, and it isn’t your average Christmas story.

3.) My True Love Gave to Me: Twelve Holiday Stories by Various Authors

This young-adult anthology takes a variety of short stories from some of the most popular authors in the book world right now, like Stephanie Perkins, Jenny Han, and Holly Black. This collection tackles it all: Christmas, Hannukah, Winter Solstice, and New Year’s, so there’s a story for everyone.

4.) Let it Snow by John Green, Maureen Johnson, and Lauren Myracle

These young-adult holiday stories by three different authors intertwine to create a magical romantic adventure. Funny, uplifting, and wholesome, these stories about a beautiful winter wonderland in a small town will have you feeling really connected to each author’s characters.

Writing, Literature, and Publishing major at Emerson College, concentrating in publishing and minoring in psychology. Avid defender of cats, coffee after dinner, and young adult books.
Emerson contributor