This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

If you enjoy singing competitions, guessing games, and are looking for a new show to add to your list, then I have found the show for you: The Masked Singer. 

The Masked Singer is a singing competition where celebrities mask their identity while wearing elaborate costumes. During the competition, celebrities are first put into three groups wherein they compete in four rounds: the audition, playoffs, semi-finals, and finals. In each round, the performer with the least number of votes is eliminated, and only then is their identity revealed. 

For those who are in the mood for some singing and dancing, here is why The Masked Singer is the perfect show for you. 

1. Guessing the Celebrity and Creating Theories

If you are someone who enjoys creating theories or solving clues, then you should add The Masked Singer to your list of TV shows to watch. 

In each episode, before the celebrities’ performance, there is a clue package presented to us. At this point, you can begin guessing who the performer is by analyzing the clues given to us. But if you are stumped, you can listen to the judges’ guesses or even look at the comments section on YouTube to help you out. Later on, you might even find out if you were right or wrong. Who knows, maybe you might be surprised by the outcome. 

I promise you, once the guessing games begin, there is no stopping you. 

2. Great Performances and Songs 

When I don’t get to listen to the new songs or know the title of some songs, sometimes I feel like I am living under a rock. Luckily, when I watch The Masked Singer, I get to hear new songs that I may have missed or songs that I haven’t heard of before. I can’t count the number of times where I have gone, “Wow! That’s a great song! What’s the title of it?” and once the performance is over, I find myself adding it to my Spotify playlist. 

However, there were times when I was watching the show and heard songs that I already love. Some of my favorite performances that got me singing along are Astronaut’s version of “Never Gonna Give You Up” and Monster’s rendition of “I Don’t Want To Be.” 

On top of this, you might find yourself blown away by how some of the performers can sing and dance while wearing a costume that covers them from head to toe. 

3. Feel Good 

What makes The Masked Singer unique is that you don’t need to be a professional singer to join the competition. Asides from the record label artists, various celebrities ranging from comedians to professional athletes have also participated in the show. 

From what I’ve seen so far, the show is about having a fun time. The judges don’t focus too much on the technicalities of the performer’s voice or how they sound. In the end, what matters most is your love for performing, and that you are enjoying your time. 

So if you feel the urge to sing while you are watching the performance, go for it! Once you are done, you will feel good about yourself, whether you are a talented singer or not.

4. Judges’ Personality 

For me, the show wouldn’t be complete without the incredible panel of judges: Robin Thicke, Nicole Scherzinger, Jenny McCarthy, and Ken Jeong. When you are watching the show, you cannot help but feel the energy from the judges, whether they are up on their feet, grooving to the song, or in their chairs, tearing up from the performance. 

You can also see their personalities shine through when they begin to guess who the performer is. In the show, I noticed that Jenny, Nicole, and Robin tend to examine the clues piece by piece, trying to figure out who the celebrity is. At times, we can see this from Ken too. However, being the comedian he is, sometimes he throws caution to the wind and guesses the most random person. When this happens, it makes the show even more entertaining than it already is. 

If you want to boost up your energy or break out into song watch The Masked Singer on Wednesdays at 8/7c on Fox.

Belle Tan

Emerson '23

Belle Tan is a senior at Emerson College majoring in Creative Writing with a minor in Publishing and Music History and Culture. During her free time, she enjoys playing the flute, singing, reading, writing, and spending time with family and friends.
Emerson contributor