Why You Should Take Advantage of the Boston Public Library

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

When you think about some of the amazing things you can take advantage of in Boston, the library is probably not the first thing that comes to mind. But if you spend a little time checking out the website, you will discover that the Boston Public Library has so much to offer, so be sure to not let it slip your mind. Here are a few examples of things our library has to offer:

1. Free Museum Passes 

If you have a library card (and they are free to get), there are a variety of passes that each branch has to many different museums and exhibits around Boston. While some of these places are already free to Emerson Students (MFA, Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum, etc.), there are some that are not and, therefore, could save a broke college student a great deal of money. Probably the most popular one offered is the New England Aquarium. So, if you are looking to check out some local attraction for free, head to your local library.

2. Author Talks and Other Programs

This perk is open to anyone who is interested, with or without a library card. Periodically, the library will hold a series of talks where they will bring in different authors to talk about their books. These can be useful for classes or just something interesting if you are an avid book reader like myself. Along with these talks, the library hosts a variety of other events such as yoga, novel writing workshops and so much more.

3. Changing Exhibits

If you have somehow gone to every museum Boston has to offer, or are simply looking for some lesser known artwork and information, the library will often feature temporary exhibits for you to peruse at your leisure. Currently at the Central Library, there are two exhibits. One is “We Are One: Mapping America’s Road from Revolution to Independence” and the other is “Women in Cartography: Five Centuries of Accomplishments.” If neither of these suit you, they will soon switch over to a series of new exhibits that may interest you more.

4. Beautiful Architecture

Luckily for us Emersonians, the closest branch of the Boston Public Library is the Central Branch located just down Boylston street. This huge building is by far one of the most gorgeous building in Boston. In my eyes, exploring this huge monument is enough reason on its own to check out the library. So feel free to take a stroll there and explore some of the many rooms, paintings, books and architecture that the building has to offer. I promise you will not regret it. 

If you would like to check out any of the amazing opportunities listed or want to see what else the Boston Public Library has to offer, check out their website at www.bpl.org.

Emerson contributor