books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

Why You Should Make Time To Read

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

If you’re like me, you love reading. Or you’ve been wanting to pick up a book but haven’t been motivated to finish. If you really don’t like reading, I hope you can at least consider this quote by J.K. Rowling: “If you don’t like to read, you haven’t found the right book.” Reading has many benefits, and this is why you should make time to read (once you’ve found the “right” book, of course).

Memory and long term benefits

According to The Huffington Post, people who read have a better memory and a sharper mind. Reading has a lasting positive effect on the brain; the article even stated that “a lifetime of reading might just help keep your brain in shape when you reach old age,” according to research published in the online Journal of Neurology.

Reading can also help you relax

As stated in the same article, books are a diversion, and using your imagination to escape reality through literature can help ease your worries. Game of Thrones author George R.R. Martin said that a reader “lives a thousand lives.” So when you want to push the pause button on your real life, pick up a book.

It helps in school

This is a proven fact, but I’d like to attest to this one by bringing in some personal experience. So far I have read five books (soon to be six) outside of class in 2017. Although I’ve always loved reading, I’ve noticed a huge difference now that I have started to make more time for it—I feel more attentive in class, my work is improving and I am happy with the results. You will be, too.

It brings out your empathetic side

Reading allows you to take on a different perspective. Maybe you’ll end up meeting someone who has a similar life to a familiar book character. Having already read about a similar lifestyle or personality, you will be able to easily connect with them. This statement is backed by The Washington Post and science; cognitive psychologist Keith Oatley said in an article, “When we read about other people, we can imagine ourselves in their position…that enables us to better understand people, better cooperate with them.”

The reasons mentioned above about reading are beneficial but only scratch the surface. Thank you for reading this article—and I hope this inspires you to pick up a book.

Charlotty Herman is a freshman journalism student at Emerson College. She was an editor on her high school's yearbook staff and over the summer, she had an internship with the Reboot Fellows. As well as journalism, she is passionate about the Spanish language, which she has been taking for seven years now. She loves Boston, and when not in class, she enjoys creative writing, fashion, and drinking coffee.
Emerson contributor