Why You Should Adopt Over Shop For Animals This Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

When making the decisions to bring a pet into the family, it is important to consider all of the options before choosing the specific pet. When choosing the animal you wish to adopt, whether it is a dog, cat or another animal, it is important to first consider adoption as a primary option. Spring is the time of year that shelters nationwide are filled with newborn animals looking for forever homes, as well as animals who have been without homes for extended periods of time already. In many cases, animals are residents in kill shelters, which means that if they are not adopted within a certain time frame, the animal is euthanized. This is because there are too many animals in the shelters that need to be adopted. By adopting, you will be able to save the life of an animal.

In looking for a pet to add to your home, adoption facilities are less costly than buying an animal from a pet store, and the pets usually come spayed/neutered, which saves you more money. Maybe you won’t get the exact breed you thought you were looking for, but you also never know. Shelter pets are just looking for a home where they can love everyone unconditionally. By adopting, you are getting a unique animal who needs you. By adopting them, you are making their life better, and in turn, they will make your life better, too!

In my personal experience, having adopted three cats from local shelters, the animals are well cared for, and ready to enter your loving homes. The feeling you get when you know you’ve saved the life of a helpless creature is priceless. Introducing shelter animals into your home can be a little rocky at first, but in the end, you are making each other much happier. We all know that there are health benefits to owning an animal, so why not save a life in the process?

So this spring, when you are looking to add a new family member to your home, check your local adoption facilities before making the decision to buy an animal at a store. You never know, your new family member may be waiting for you!  

Some helpful online adoption guides can be found below:

The Shelter Pet Project

Adopt a Pet

Petfinder

ASPCA

And you never know, the pet you adopt might even become famous!

Talia is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Emerson. Talia is also a Chapter Advisor, Region Leader, and HSA Advisor. She has previously worked as an intern for the national headquarters of Her Campus in the community management department. Talia is a Writing, Literature, and Publishing major at Emerson College in a 4+1 combined bachelor's and master's program in publishing. She is an aspiring writer and publisher. Talia is known for living life with her journal, a pen, and three lovely cats.
Emerson contributor