This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

There’s no doubt that between today’s politics and environmental issues, we’re all in need of a little more positivity, hope and love. More importantly, though, we need to stay informed and motivated. Although theater sometimes gets a bad rap for being all jazz hands and no substance, it has more to offer than most people give it credit for.

Theater not only expands your horizons and exposes you to new ideas, but it also provides you with a sense of entertainment you probably haven’t experienced in years. The best part? You don’t have to break the bank to see a show on stage. Of course, there is nothing quite as magical as seeing a Broadway show in New York City, but there are some incredible performances happening right in your very own community. Here are some local theaters that are putting on great shows at a college student friendly price.

The Lyric Stage Company, located at 140 Clarendon St, Boston, MA 02116

Buy tickets for their production of Stage Kiss.

The Wilbur Theater, located at 246 Tremont St, Boston, MA 02116

Buy tickets for Trevor Noah’s performance.

The Shubert Theater, located at 265 Tremont St, Boston, MA 02116

Buy tickets for their production of Shen Yun.

The Paramount Center, located at 557 Washington St, Boston, MA 02116

Buy tickets for their production of The Beauty Queen of Leenane.

The Cutler Majestic Theater, located at  219 Tremont St, Boston, MA 02116

Buy tickets for their production of Titanic.

Adding more theater into your life will only improve your optimism and knowledge of current events and politics. The next time you’re trying to think of something fun to do during a weekend, take a trip to the theater—it’s guaranteed to change your mind and your life.

Freshman at Emerson College, theater kid, coffee addict, and Delawarian at heart.
Emerson contributor