Why Nani from Lilo & Stitch is One of the Best Disney Characters of All Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Lilo & Stitch is arguably one of the best Disney movies of all time, and I think it’s fair to say it’s also a fairly underrated Disney movie. You can find lots of people who love Stitch and who adore Lilo, because let’s be real, they’re very lovable and relatable characters, even if none of us are fluffy blue aliens or believe there’s a sandwich-eating fish who controls the weather. But where’s the love for Lilo’s big sister Nani? Wondering why I think you should consider adding Nani to your list of favorite Disney characters? I’m giving you two main reasons.

1. Nani is one of the strongest Disney characters in existence.

No, she’s not Mr. Incredible, but Nani is dealing with so much at once that so many of us don’t even have to go through in our lifetime. Nani and Lilo have lost their parents relatively recently, and at a young age on top of that. Not only is Nani coping with the loss and grief of their parents, but at 19 years old she has also become the sole guardian of her little sister. So Nani is forced to suddenly, and without any other people to support her, take care of herself and her little sister. While we don’t know how much financial assistance Nani is getting in any form, she has to work a full-time job, worry about any bills and paperwork for the house, take care of her sister, and during the film she’s also dealing with the fear of losing the only family she has left. Most people aren’t even completely independent by 19, nevermind also taking care of a dependent. So Nani might not be shouldering any superhuman powers, but to be dealing with so much so suddenly, Nani definitely has a mental and emotional strength not many people have.

2. Nani is also so relatable if you’re a sibling.

If you saw this article from the A.V. Club, you might agree that Lilo and Nani are way more real as sisters than Anna and Elsa, in part because we see so much of the complexities of their relationships. There’s the literal boundaries of Nani and Lilo’s relationship: their brawling in the way only siblings can, the door-slamming, sitting or laying on each other, shoving, and screaming; the hugging, kissing, physically hiding from threats, ruffling hair, and holding. Particularly from Nani’s side, we see the need to protect our siblings mentally and emotionally. When Nani loses her job at the luau restaurant because of Stitch, instead of letting the situation get to her, Nani makes sure to erase any responsibility Lilo may feel over the situation. Nani also wants to keep Lilo by her side because they’re the only family the other has left, and Nani knows she understands Lilo in a way she doesn’t think many people can. Going back to Nani’s strength, she wants to protect Lilo and do what’s best of her, as a lot of us wish to do for our siblings. Nani eventually acknowledges that maybe she isn’t what’s best for Lilo, even if she’s her blood. Eventually, in wanting to do whatever she can for her sister, when Lilo gets abducted, Nani doesn’t give up and assume that her sister is lost forever. She finds a way to get her sister back, even if it means having to put her trust in strangers that may be a threat to her own safety. Nani, time and time again, sacrifices for Lilo, and she also loves her endlessly, because when you’re close with your sibling you’re willing to do anything for them. Even if you spend a majority of the time fighting, there’s also a ton of time you spend taking care of each other, and you know you’re ready to kick butt if it means keeping your sibling safe.

There’s a lot more to Nani that might make her your favorite, such as her sense of humor, her displaying of her priorities when David asks her out while also acknowledging her feelings, and even her surfing skills. Nani is one of the best characters because she’s such a three-dimensional character. She’s flawed, relatable, strong, caring, and she even sings! So next time you watch Lilo & Stitch take a moment to appreciate Nani Pelekai.

Senior at Emerson College. WLP: Publishing major. Double minoring in Latin American and Latinx Studies, and Marketing Communications. Aspiring managing editor. Bookworm (especially when it comes to YA). Disney Geek. Ravenclaw.
Emerson contributor