This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

As a child I hated Shrek, I didn’t understand how people found this entertaining. I thought that the only thing redeeming and bearable about the movie franchise was the soundtrack. 

Recently, after rewatching the Shrek movie franchise things definitely changed. I am glad to say that I am a fan of the film and I do think it is because of my growth, and being able to see things from a different perspective. I think that’s why I like it now because I can see it in a different light, one I didn’t see as a child. 

Looking at all the villains, Prince Farquaad, Prince Charming, and Rumpelstiltskin, they all aim for perfection, they want to live out their ideal lives and feel entitled to have everything they ever wanted. For them to get their happily ever after, they try to sabotage the love and happiness of Shrek and Fiona. Seeing Shrek and Fiona defeating and overcoming these obstacles in their own way shows that it is better to stand out and be yourself. That your thoughts and how you perceive yourself is all that matters and can determine whether it pulls you back, pushes you forward, or both. Your physical self doesn’t determine the goodness in your heart and your character. One does not equal the other. 

Apart from that, I saw Shrek transform from this mean ogre into this friendly and kind individual; finally exuding what is inside his heart. This displays that first impressions aren’t always the right impression. Moreover, there is always room to do more good. Not everyone is as they seem and that we should always choose what is right. Growth and development happen daily and that is always what matters, that we see the good in others. A lesson that can be difficult for any individual. 

movie theater with people
Photo by Krists Luhaers from Unsplash

As an adult, the experiences we have accumulated over the years impacts our perception about everything in our life. When I watch these movies, as much as I am entertained by the humor and the action that is happening, I also realize and pick up on the multitude of themes that the film is sending to the audience. Furthermore, sometimes we may say that we can relate to what had happened, not exactly but in some form. This reminds everyone of what we should all focus on in life and may allow us to reflect on our own experiences and lives, a bonus factor that we may not have done when we were younger. Upon reflecting, this can give us greater depth, we may find a newfound or greater appreciation for these beloved films, and relearn something new from them. A reiteration of important life lessons should never be a bore. Thus, it can give us this appreciation, whether it is new or not. 

Simultaneously, who doesn’t want to lay down in bed, turn on the TV, and put on a good nostalgic show that makes us feel good? More than ever, I think this is something that can do us a lot of good, freeing ourselves from everything that feels heavy to our hearts and spirits. Films can represent the complexities of life and this world in a fun way. For a moment, we forget about what is happening around us and see what is going on in the world of these characters. For me, I think these roamed in the back of my head and when it was over, it was brought to my attention. 

From there, I could unpack and see the nuts and bolts of the movie and how it presents these lessons. Once I was done I could let go of the movie and move along my day, and still keep what I’ve learned. I was also emotionally invested, which created this connection which I do believe enhances the way we see things. Isn’t it amazing when we are able to see things in a way we never saw before? It is definitely eye-opening. 

Finally, I can see that my disdain for Shrek clouded my judgment and prevented me from seeing the beauty and intricacies of this story as a kid. I couldn’t get past the physical appearances. It is such a shame that I only see this now, however, I am thankful that I have put an end to this long-lived hatred. I appreciate this film and understand why many people love it and why it is one of those childhood classics. It refreshes our minds and shines a light on the goodness of people and one’s growth, something we all need in our lives. No matter what movie it is, I do think that we can learn from it and see things from a fresh perspective. 

Now go watch a childhood movie, one that you love or even hate, and see if you can find something new that you didn’t see before. Go, surprise yourself.

Belle Tan

Emerson '23

Belle Tan is a senior at Emerson College majoring in Creative Writing with a minor in Publishing and Music History and Culture. During her free time, she enjoys playing the flute, singing, reading, writing, and spending time with family and friends.
Emerson contributor