Wellness

Why College is the Best Time to Build a Better Relationship with Yourself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

We can all agree that college is one of the biggest things to happen in your lifetime. After the blood, sweat, and tears you go through just to apply to college, you’ve jumped the biggest hurdle and you’re finally here! It’s a new chapter in your life, so it’s time to make the most of your time for the next four years by putting yourself first! Here are several reasons why college is the best time to improve your relationship with yourself first, and to worry about everything else second.

New chapter, new environment.

For most people who go off to college, they are in a completely different atmosphere from what they are used to. For people like myself, college is a change of pace if you’ve been living in the same town throughout your elementary, middle, and high school years. A new environment is integral in building a better relationship with yourself, and there are many ways to use it to your advantage. If you’re in a completely new town, go explore! Look up the most delicious restaurants, the hotspot shopping areas, and maybe some historical landmarks. Even if it’s just taking a walk across your school’s campus, take this time to breathe and to seek your adventure in a new place. Whether it is with friends or by yourself, take in the air around you and let it sink in that you made it here, and you’re here to love this new place for the next four years of your life.

Meeting new people.

It’s almost certain that you will meet new and unfamiliar faces after you throw that high school graduation cap. Moving to a new town or environment can be scary, and you might have the fear of being alone. Just know that it’s okay to feel scared of putting yourself out there, but just remember that everyone is in the same boat as you. Everybody is trying to look for friends, especially during the first week. Know that you aren’t alone, and perhaps the new friends you make will be friends you will have for the rest of your lifetime. Know that you will have a new support system of friends you can count on, and who will help you build you up when you are torn down. Know that every new face you meet has an impact on you, and you have an impact on them.

Saying goodbye to toxicity.

In high school, you may have dealt with some drama, or drama was the hottest talk at school. You may have dealt with broken friendships, broken hearts, or some of the cruelest things imaginable. High school can be one of the most awkward and confusing times of our lives, whether we choose to believe it or not. But that doesn’t mean college has to be the same way too. College is the time to change your outlook on life, and that means the way you see yourself too. If something doesn’t feel right, do something about it. Don’t leave problems as is; start a conversation and find a way to make a solution out of it. If someone has judged or spoken badly about you, talk to them. Find closure if you have to. Be honest with yourself—you are your own best friend, and you know your judgment best. If you want to, find that support system who has your back and have a conversation with them about your issues. Whatever you have to do, make sure you leave feeling content with yourself, and always remember that you and your health are your number one priority.

Figuring out what you want to do.

College is a brand new experience, and you may feel uncertain of what you want to do during the next four years. You may even go to college undecided, and that is okay. But that shouldn’t stop you from chasing opportunities you find intriguing or interesting. Keep your options open; you might find that what you love doing is something that you would never expect. Go to that club meeting, go search for internships, ask for help from professors or alumni or even upperclassmen friends. Continue pursuing passions you’ve already been invested in, whether that would be singing, acting, or playing a sport. As Nike would say, just do it. College is about having an adventure with unexpected twists and turns, and it’s time to have your own adventure.

Independence

I’ve been saving this for last because while it is the most obvious reason, it’s also the most important. Whether you’re going to college across the country or even a few miles away from home, you’re living and functioning completely on your own. You have no rules to live by once you’re in college, and no one is keeping watch of what you do or not do. While you may feel uncertain or confused throughout your time in college, don’t hesitate to check on yourself once in a while and make sure you are doing okay. You are your own person, and college is a way to help you find yourself and get to know yourself better. While you may find the very best of friends along the way and you may encounter the biggest influences on your life, know that you are the one in control of your college experience, and that being kind to yourself is number one. College is the next step towards achieving what you’ve always wanted to achieve, so make the most of it by putting yourself first.

Marieska Luzada is a sophomore at Emerson College at Boston, MA majoring in journalism and minoring in publishing. Besides writing for HerCampus, you can find her drafting an a capella arrangement, drinking an iced matcha latte, reading a young adult contemporary, or listening to Studio Ghibli movie soundtracks.
Emerson contributor