This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Any feminist knows that pretty much everyone in the world can benefit from equality. Let’s hit a little bit closer to home, though. Us Emersonians have both the privilege and the daunting experience of living in a city, which poses both challenges and benefits to feminists like you and me. So let’s talk about feminism, and why it’s so necessary in our everyday urban lives.

Combatting Catcalling

Ok, let’s face it. Catcalling is an unfortunate reality in our world, and it can happen pretty much anywhere, but it’s more likely to happen when you’re out walking in the city streets rather than in a small town or suburb. For this reason, feminism is especially important in this sort of setting. With the influence of feminism, urban culture will become more respectful and egalitarian, making it more productive and kind to all people.

Jobs

In any city, job and career opportunities are everywhere. As of the past few years, more and more jobs are adopting and upholding equality policies, which is awesome! However, some companies are still male-dominated by proportion, and for that reason may be sexist. Feminism is essential in all jobs––whatever you are interested in, go for it! There are no boundaries and many fields need to be changed for the better in that way.

Exploring the city

I generally do not feel afraid walking around Boston alone during the day, but because of what my parents have instilled in me, I feel more uneasy when exploring the city at night. I try my best to exude confidence, but deep down I am afraid someone will attack me. And when I take a taxi, I should not be afraid that the driver is going to rape me, hurt me or steal from me, but oftentimes when I am alone in a car, I am. Feminism is so integral to city life because women should not be afraid to take advantage of all their city has to offer at all times of the day, and to use transportation with comfort and confidence.

Starting the change through activism opportunities

The more people there are in one place, the more people there are to listen to your point of view. Part of why feminism is so perfect for city life is because cities have a more condensed population than other communities. You can start or join a group within your college (if you haven’t already) or outside of school, and then reach out to people by attending events, stopping mistreatment and disrespect when you see it and raising awareness in any other way you can think of. If you’re more of the strong, silent type, perhaps you can make your voice heard through an internet post or statement clothing. Whether your action is big or small, you have the power to make a change. You got this.

Charlotty Herman is a freshman journalism student at Emerson College. She was an editor on her high school's yearbook staff and over the summer, she had an internship with the Reboot Fellows. As well as journalism, she is passionate about the Spanish language, which she has been taking for seven years now. She loves Boston, and when not in class, she enjoys creative writing, fashion, and drinking coffee.
Emerson contributor