This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Some people raise animals, others raise children, and many have begun to raise… plants? With Instagram pages, TikTok videos, Twitter feeds, and YouTube channels dedicated to picking, raising, and buying plants, it’s blatantly obvious that houseplants have become a huge trend. With everyone staying inside for the past year with little to do, it makes sense that people would turn to nurturing plants. After all–depending on what you get–they’re easy to take care of, don’t require an excess of resources or money, and beautify your space. They’re common in many households, but Gen-Z seems to have latched onto them, figuring out which ones to buy and add to their collections, learning how to take care of them, and watching them grow. 

One reason for plant obsession is because they’re aesthetically pleasing. They look pretty in your room, you can get many kinds of plants and flowers, and you can hang them up or display them on your windowsill. It’s nice to have something green and calming in your room, and let’s face it–a lot of people are driven to buy or do things based on what’s in their social media feed. So, with plants gaining a resurgence over lockdown, it’s no surprise that people have begun their own collections. It’s also no surprise that people continue to post about their plants, whether it’s to teach others about how to take care of them or just showing off what they have. 

Row of potted plants
Photo by Vadim Kaipov from Unsplash

It’s been difficult to find community for the past year, so social media has definitely helped spark interest in plants, because the plant community online is thriving.  Some people name their plants, paint their plant pots, and consider them a tiny (or large) plant family. People are excited to share their finds with each other and help newbies nurture their plants. Instagram hashtags like #plantstagram or TikTok tags like #planttok have been exploding online because of each app’s popularity and people’s joy at sharing. There are millions of posts for both of these hashtags, and it’s clear that certain plants, like monstera plants, are more popular than others. 

With a worldwide pandemic that has lasted for more than a year, people have been itching to do things, and some have found solace in plant care. It’s exciting to watch things grow day by day (especially when there hasn’t been much for people to do everyday) and it brings routine into people’s lives. They’re easier to take care of, especially when compared to dogs or cats, which some people can’t even have due to their apartment or home restrictions. They provide a routine for people, especially young people who may not have jobs or need something outside of school to do. Some consider taking care of plants a part of their self-care routine, and at a time when we’re being discouraged from going outside unless for necessary reasons, it’s nice to bring some of the outdoors inside. 

Hannah is a Chinese-American sophomore Publishing student at Emerson College. She loves to read science-fiction and fantasy novels, listen to music, and hang out with her friends. She is a Christian and heavily involved on campus organizations outside of HerCampus, with orgs like ASIA, Anime@Emerson, and Concrete Literary Magazine.
Emerson contributor