This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Every time Donald Trump opens his mouth, the media erupts in controversy and criticism. From his rumored cabinet nominees to the current debacle: his new slogan. We all know his famous campaign slogan “Make America Great Again.” It’s plastered on t-shirts, hats and even houses in some areas. But Trump recently released a whole new campaign for his presidency with a strikingly different message: “Keep America Great.”

This would be his 2020 slogan, of course, but it is evident that Trump is already using it freely before even starting his presidency this month. At first glance, this may be a little confusing. Are we great again already? Wasn’t the point of his campaign that America is not a great nation anymore? Wasn’t he going to make it great AGAIN? Is it great just because he was elected? The important thing to remember is that this is intended for later use, for hats and shirts in a year or so. These are viable questions, though, and it’s good that people are asking them. This is not the reason, however, that this slogan is clogging social media channels this week. The disturbing and strange aspect of this slogan is the fact it is the tagline of the movie The Purge.

If you are unfamiliar with this movie, it is a dystopian society that holds an annual “purge” night where there are no laws. People are murdered, raped and tortured with no fear of repercussions. It is based on a Darwinism belief of “survival of the fittest.” The movie reveals that it is not the physically stronger people that survive in society, but the richest ones.

Need I say more? This slogan has received backlash from both sides and it is hard to understand the strategic choices that President Trump is already making. Whatever the case, a mistake or on purpose, people are becoming increasingly uneasy in the wake of the inauguration and Trump’s already firm pursuit in the destruction of the Affordable Care Act.

It’s safe to say Trump is not planning to incorporate the Purge plot into our world, but people are uncertain of the future more than ever—and whether they will be strong enough to survive it.

I am a Writing, literature, and Publishing Major. I love Netflix, food, and sleep. College lets me experience all 3 of my favorite things simultaneously.
Emerson contributor