This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

If you haven’t heard of these people, you’re not alone. Trisha Paytas is a popular YouTuber known for her controversial videos that may or may not be trolls and her OnlyFans content. H3H3 is a branded name referring to husband and wife duo Ethan and Hila Klein, known for their former commentary Youtube channel and their well-known podcast of the same name. Recently Trisha and Ethan of H3H3, who have had frequent disagreements and drama in the past, teamed up to start their own podcast, Frenemies.

While Trisha and Ethan’s paths have inevitably crossed in the past since they are both heavily involved in YouTube drama, their first major collaboration was when Trisha guest starred on the H3H3 podcast. There’s a lot of interesting content there, including when Trisha was exposed for lying about monetizing a heavily criticized video in which she came out as transgender. However, the main focus of her appearances became a Bachelor type bit where listeners could apply to date Trisha and she would narrow down her choices until a winner was selected. Trisha agreed to participate, which meant she was not allowed to talk to any contestants outside of the show as to preserve content. Not only did Trisha disobey this request, she started seeing Hila’s brother, Moses, both of them neglecting to tell H3H3, who only found out via social media posts from Trisha.

Trisha and Moses remain together several months later, despite a few break ups, and Trisha and Ethan have since started their own podcast. This podcast definitely has some gems hidden in it. Notably, Trisha finding out some things you might assume are common knowledge. For example, the Holocaust’s existence, the definition of global warming, what gravity is, and that select Hamilton quotes are actually from the Declaration of Independence. However, this is not to let Ethan off the hook. One of my favorite moments of the podcast so far is in episode four where the two play “Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader.” After Trisha answers nearly every question in the English category correctly and Ethan misses nearly every question, he quickly exclaims in exasperation that he was an English literature major in college.

Trisha also spends a fair amount of time begging to be more involved in Ethan’s home life, asking to babysit his son, be invited to holiday family dinners, et cetera, all under the guise that she could become his sister-in-law. She succeeded in receiving an invitation to Rosh Hashanah, but is often heavily criticized by Ethan and the general public for her potential fetishization of Jewish and Israeli culture. Check out her Tiktok for more of that.

As could be expected, Frenemies sees Ethan and Trisha have frequent fights on a variety of topics. Trisha has stormed out of episodes and frequently threatens to quit, despite not missing an episode yet. Both Ethan and Trisha get frustrated with the other for bringing up information thought to be exchanged in private. In a recent episode, number seven, in which they are dressed as each other for Halloween, Ethan brings in a relationship therapist in an effort to get to the bottom of their disagreements. This episode quickly turns deep as Trisha confronts some childhood trauma she believes may still be affecting her relationships today.

Frenemies has received some harsh criticism for a variety of reasons; this is not surprising considering both parties have been heavily involved in numerous controversies. They also frequently discuss other YouTubers drama on the show. However, many people believe that Trisha is and always has been someone who says exorbitant lies, often making herself seem ignorant, simply for the attention and that Ethan is providing her with an even bigger platform to do so. Only you can decide for yourself whether it’s worth the watch. I can say without a doubt that it’s a dynamic I’ve never seen before and the juxtaposition of their personalities and intellect makes for a very interesting show.

Grace is a sophomore Business of Creative Enterprises student at Emerson College from New York and North Carolina. She’s passionate about theatre, television, writing, and fried chicken.
Emerson contributor