andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

What You Need To Know About Studying Abroad This Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Even though it has been snowing for three consecutive weeks in Boston, summer will be creeping up on us before we know it. So, what are you doing this summer? For many of us, our summer plans are still not set in stone. If you are still deciding whether or not to study abroad this summer, take a look at these tips so you can start planning ahead!

1. Consider The Credits You’ll Earn 

Most study abroad programs that go on during the summer will be 8 credit courses. With each Emerson semester consisting of 16 credits, taking an 8 credit summer course will only put you half of a semester ahead when it comes to graduation. Plan to talk to your advisor about a long-term plan for earning your degree before committing to a study abroad program.

2. Know Your Deadlines

Find out about deadlines. Summer is relatively close, and by now some students have already applied and have been accepted into summer study abroad programs. Many deadlines will be March 1st or March 31st with rolling admission. Figure out when your deadlines are as soon as you can because you may need recommendations from your advisor and professor(s).

3. Get Your Courses Pre-Approved 

If you have a program in mind for the summer, submit your transfer credits for approval ASAP. For Emerson to approve your non-affiliated study abroad program, your courses will need to be pre-approved. Even if you have three programs in mind, make sure you submit all courses within those programs because getting the courses approved can take over a week. By doing this, when you do decide on a program, you will be ready to sign up for your classes right away.

4. Know Your Options 

Have a backup plan. Non-affiliated Emerson study abroad programs usually require some kind of written application (personal statement, answering questions), an official transcript, and a minimum GPA requirement. It doesn’t hurt to look at 2 or 3 options when it comes to choosing the right program. You don’t need to apply to every program that interests you, but in case you don’t get into your first choice, you’ll still have a backup.

5. Talk With An Advisor 

Meet with an Emerson Study Abroad Advisor and fill out their Study Abroad Interest Form. It will definitely be helpful to talk to an advisor and ask about any financial aid information you don’t understand, get advice about different countries, and talk about pre-departure orientation. 

If you’re looking to study abroad this summer, there’s still time! Check out Emerson’s Non-Affiliated Study Abroad website, call 617-824-8567 to make an appointment with a study abroad advisor, or email abroad@emerson.edu with any additional study abroad questions.

Emerson contributor