danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

What You Can Do If You Didn’t Get Your Dream Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

So you didn’t get that internship. It may seem like the end of the world, and more importantly, your resume, but there are plenty of things you can do to not only bulk up your resume, but maybe get a little more perspective on whether or not this was your only chance to get “real life experience.”

1. Get involved in your school

You may already be involved, but with all those extra blocks of time you left to sit in an office all day, you can fill your days with a position on the newspaper, or photography, or even acapella groups. Not every extracurricular activity has to be serious or even for your major specifically. As long as you get involved, you won’t be laying in bed every Thursday morning wishing you were productive with your life.

2. Take some time to seriously focus on your studies

In college, we tend to think that as long as we pass classes and get that degree, classes are irrelevant. Although jobs don’t harp on GPA or class rank, that doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t take classes seriously in college. Take a step back and actually do all the reading for your history class. Maybe take notes and go to office hours that you otherwise would have been too busy to go to. Get your money’s worth and enjoy learning while you can. We only have a few more years of it left.

3. Take time for yourself

Did you get sick a lot when your schedule was spread thin last semester? Well maybe your body was telling you to slow down and this rejection is just a sign that you need to take some time for yourself. Go to the gym more, eat healthier, get the proper amount of sleep each night. When your physical health improves, so does your mental health.

4. Get outside your comfort zone

Sure, you’re a journalism major, but does that mean that you have to revolve your life around CNN and the news? Take a step out of your comfort zone and explore new things. Maybe you loved photography as a kid but thought college was the time to put hobbies aside. Pull out that camera and start shooting. Even though you get a degree in Journalism, there is no way of knowing what jobs you will actually receive once you get that diploma.

5. Get a job

If you don’t have one already, GET ONE. College isn’t cheap, and I’m not talking about your tuition. Groceries, toiletries, and clothes are all expenses that will slowly eat away at your savings. Look up on-campus jobs or even jobs outside of campus for a change in scenery. The only requirement really is getting paid. The extra job experience also looks great on internship and even real job resumes. It shows that you were able to juggle work and school, which is very desirable in an employee.

6. Have fun 

Yes, college is about finding out who you are and what you want to be, but that doesn’t mean you can’t have fun. Get a little crazy. Go to a concert, or maybe walk along a nearby beach or body of water. Plan a girl’s night, or just binge a Netflix series. Whatever you choose, just remember that not getting that internship wasn’t the worst thing in the world. It could even be the best thing. 

I am a Writing, literature, and Publishing Major. I love Netflix, food, and sleep. College lets me experience all 3 of my favorite things simultaneously.
Emerson contributor