This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Last year, I remember going through Amazon, clicking page after page, looking for chocolates to give to my friends, who helped my transition to living abroad be much smoother than I imagined. After looking at different types of chocolates, I ended up with a 35-ounce bulk bag that contained assorted Hershey’s chocolates. I gave it to them as a gift of gratitude, to show them how special they are to me. I won’t forget the smiles on their faces when they received such a simple gift.

Friendships are golden, they can last a lifetime, and are hard to come by, as we all know. I do miss the times where I hugged my friends or tapped them on the shoulder, I reminisce about the memories with great joy. My friends have helped me along the way in different phases of my life, and I know there is a reason why. I may not know the reason just yet, but I know that I am very blessed that they are present. As Galentine’s Day comes close, here are a few reasons why I keep my friends close to my heart. 

three women holding each other and smiling and laughing
Photo by Priscilla Du Preez from Unsplash

1. They support me in my goals and dreams. 

During the pandemic, I have been taking voice lessons, another way to keep me relaxed and to focus on something other than school. Last month, I had an online voice recital and on the day I was so nervous that my sister said, “Belle, relax, calm down. Smile,” as I fidgeted with my hands. My friends, whether they be in Boston, the Philippines, or elsewhere in the world, watched it and for me that meant everything. Despite small bumbles and tumbles, I got through the performance and loved the kind words of “Congratulations!” and “You’re so good!” That was the first time I ever sang solo in public, so those words made me giddy, proud, and my heartfelt full. 

As the saying goes, “the more, the merrier,” and when it comes to friends I don’t mind that at all. I am grateful for the support, how it made me feel that no matter what happened they would still give me something to be proud of. They boosted my confidence, something I lack when it comes to performing or anything I do, and for that I couldn’t help but smile. I love how my friends support me in my goals and dreams, and whenever I see or feel it, I can’t wait to see them soar and I’ll be there cheering them on like they do for me. 

2. They bring out a different side of me (in a good way).

Ever since I was a child I have been really shy, quiet, awkward, and nervous when making friends. When I was around friends, according to them, I stayed silent too, talking a little bit but not too much. There were only a few times where I talked a lot which was mostly in the evening, when people are ready to go to sleep and end their day. A true night owl. As I grew up, I made some more friends and along the way they helped me become the chatterbox I am when around those I am comfortable with. However, I still got nervous and tense when I met new people. 

My freshman year, during my International and Freshman orientation, I knew that I would be alone in the big city of Boston, that I had to be more proactive when meeting new people and to not be afraid. I still got nervous yet wanted to make friends so badly. I made the effort, saying “hi” to those beside me, trying to carry on a conversation, and to let go of the fears. It paid off and if it wasn’t for that I wouldn’t have made the college friends I made. I will admit, this can still be a struggle, but I think I am more open and know now how to manage the jitters I get.

3. Remind me to be present. 

I either think too much about the past or the future, nothing in between, most of the time. I have the hardest time trying to focus on the present, once my mind wanders, thinking about what will happen to me or what has happened, sometimes I stay there and struggle to get out. For me, the best way that I would be reminded that I should remain present is through the company of my friends. 

When we are jogging to the Esplanade, in the dorm’s common room doing Buzzfeed quizzes, or just catching up on the couch, I don’t overthink about the future or what has happened. I just think about how much fun we are having, the moment that we are currently living in. Their presence reminds me that I should just enjoy and not overanalyze every single situation too much. That I should relax a little bit more, not worry about everything, since it will all work out in the end. There is no point in worrying about a future I don’t know about and thinking about hypotheticals. I strive to do this, to be more present, and aware, so I can learn more about myself and the world at the moment. More importantly, to be calmer and centered, remembering that there is a lot to celebrate right now.

4. No matter what, they’ll make an effort to be there for me. 

There are times where we make plans then something squeezes in at the last minute that interrupts all our plans. Other times, it goes smoothly and on track. However, regardless of what happens, I know that I can rely on them to make an effort in anything they do. If I need help or just want to talk to them I know that I can always go to them, that they will always be there for me. At times, due to busy schedules, it can be hard to meet up, yet they still try and manage to fit me in so that we can catch up and talk. 

I greatly appreciate the gesture and know that it isn’t as easy as it seems. I’m not the best at keeping to a promise sometimes, I have improved since I was a child but I struggle with this at times. But by example, I learned that if I can’t make it to one day that I should make it up to them, make the effort, and take the time to be with them too. It has reminded me that just because we are busy doesn’t mean that our personal lives have to suffer, I need to find that work-life balance. By being present with them, I show them that I love and care about them. I will never pass that opportunity, I always want to show them that they are important to me in any way possible. 

5. They inspire me.  

Everyone is unique in every way and all my friends have distinct personalities that stand out. They have characteristics that make me inspired by them and who they are. I love seeing their individuality and I think that makes me drawn to them. There are those who are humorous, intellectuals, strong minded, patient, quirky, or even independent. When I see this come through, I learn more about them, and can see them in a different light that makes me admire them even more. 

When I am around my friends, those personalities give off a different atmosphere, make me smile, and think about how blessed I am. I see their talents and gifts shine when I am with them and from there I learn something new about myself and them. I look at their very different characters and think “I should try and emulate that in my life more. I think I need that more,” or “how are they able to do that? They are truly talented.” I don’t say it that much to them, but maybe I should. I love feeling inspired and seeing them in the spotlight, it makes me want to make the changes in myself and to be the best friend I can possibly be for them. 

In the end, my friends matter to me because they remind me that life has so much to offer, that it must not be done alone, and that our friendship is special that we must not let it go too easily. They teach me something new whenever I meet up with them, show me different aspects of myself and life, and think and reflect about things that I had never really thought of or seen before. 

I’ve gotten this far because of my wonderful friends, and for that I thank them. I am forever grateful that we met and that I get to call them my friends. This world has so much to offer and our journey isn’t finished, so I can’t wait to see what we will experience together, how our path unfolds, and the bond that we will solidify. But maybe let’s wait till the pandemic is over and we can burst our own little bubbles, hug each other once more, and see what adventures life will take us on. 

Belle Tan

Emerson '23

Belle Tan is a senior at Emerson College majoring in Creative Writing with a minor in Publishing and Music History and Culture. During her free time, she enjoys playing the flute, singing, reading, writing, and spending time with family and friends.