alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

What Microaggressions Are and Why You Should Care

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

It was in the 1970s when Dr. Chester M. Pierce, renowned psychiatrist, first introduced the term microaggression. Since the term was coined, it has taken root in many different psychological journals, but also in mainstream media.

As aptly phrased by Dr. Derald Wing Sue in his article “Microaggressions: More than Just Race” from Psychology Today, “Microaggressions are the everyday verbal, nonverbal, and environmental slights, snubs, or insults, whether intentional or unintentional, which communicate hostile, derogatory, or negative messages to target persons based solely upon their marginalized group membership.”

With this definition categorizing a lot of interactions as possibly hostile, it makes you question if your own actions have impacted someone negatively. There are so many ways in which, consciously or unconsciously, someone may  slip up and ultimately offend an innocent person.

So what are microaggressions?

Perhaps to most,  worrying about the possibility of having employed microaggressions in everyday conversation seems too sensitive and pandering to the “liberal-snowflake” agenda. In fact, there are probably a large amount of people who see microaggressions as a part of their humor. However, the truth of the matter is, microaggressions stigmatize everyday life for many people.

For those in society whose outward appearances impact day to day life, subtle digs from the casual passerby or service workers are customary. In most cases, it is even in the workplace or school (places which people are meant to feel safe) where they are targeted with snide remarks.

To find examples of what microaggressions really are, the easiest way to find out is to ask those who you know could be impacted by this phenomenon. Consulting those of who you surround yourself with, who could be considered minorities, is important as a learning experience. Asking what experiences they have had, if you have ever contributed to their discomfort… Acknowledging these instances of making mistakes, understanding why others can take offense to certain comments, it is vital to contextualize a person’s individual experience.

If your looking for a more in-depth education however, you can consult the internet to better understand. It is through the Internet that we can further our understanding. Whether it is taking a moment to view Kiyun Kim photo series on racial microaggressions or consulting resources like the microaggressions blog, there is so much to be learned. It is also important to acknowledge that while a lot of microaggressions are race based, there are instances where they can have to do with sexuality, religion, and/or gender.

In my own life, this came to my attention most recently when my local news station back home in Chicago came under-fire for a recent interview with a young Muslim woman, Hoda Katebi. In the interview she had come to speak about a political-fashion blog which she had created. However, instead of focusing on her creative outlet, the conversation shifted to the subjects of nuclear warfare. Some things were said, and she was ultimately told that she did not sound like an American. Many people on social media lit up in anger over it, categorizing the commentary as a microaggression considering the stigmatism between Muslim culture and terrorism. Beyond this, however, it was more poignant that this subject shift felt disconnected from the reason for her being interviewed in the first place, which was her fashion blog.

The point of this example is: People mess up all the time. As we know, however, and as it is obvious in this video, not everyone is conscious of their biases or how they may stereotype other people. This is why we see both indirect and direct examples of microaggressions. Whichever kind was demonstrated in the video, the point is that to stop the pigeonholing of minority groups to create respectful and safe environment for everyone, we must acknowledge what spurs microaggressions.

Just as people got up in arms about cyber-bullying at its peak (although some would say it continues to get worse), we must address issues of our own assumptions about cultures in everyday life. I can admit that I am sometimes too quick to judge a person, especially as a white, cis-gendered female, of upper middle class socioeconomic status. Regardless of this, it is important that I check my privilege and recognize that my daily life, sometimes interrupted by the occasional cat-call, is drastically different than others. I do not have to wear much of my identity in my outward appearance, especially because I am in many ways “the norm.” Nevertheless, to end the marginalization of other groups of people, to make everyone feel safer in daily life, I need to check my privilege and seek to educate people about subjects such as these. We have a duty to each other, especially in this time of political upheaval, to address discrimination, even on a lower-level basis. So no matter how little it may seem to you, recognize that microaggressions are the first step in dismantling the marginalization of groups of people.

Emerson contributor