What It’s Like to Be an Immigrant in America Right Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

“Make America Great Again.” To some, it is the slogan of their beloved president elect. For a lot of us, it is a reminder of the racism, xenophobia, sexism and homophobia that still lurks in the shadows of this country. I’m an Indian who is in America on a student visa. I am a legal immigrant––temporarily, yes, but I am still a part of this country as much as any other person, at least until 2019. I hear talk about Trump’s goal to get rid of the H1B visa, which is the work visa that everyone who dreams of a better life comes to America on. I want to convert my student visa to an H1B. I want to stay and work in this country. For me, it was a choice of where I would get more exposure, and I chose America. For a lot of my friends, and the people of this country, it is their livelihood. I know people who have been working here in America for years, their income is the only source of money for the family they support back in their home country. For a lot of other people, it is a safe haven from their countries that are in the midst of war, or have laws that hurt them. We’re all here with one dream: to make it. Whether it is to make it big in a certain industry, or to just make it out alive––we’re here to make it. We’re here because America, the “land of the free” (has such a charm to it, eh?) has promised a better life. But today, we find ourselves looking towards other options, or into despair because the new president wants us all to leave. For someone who has my privilege, it is not a big deal. If I have to go back, I will go back. I have a family back home and ample job opportunities. But I see people in panic and fear that they have nowhere to go.

Sure, Trump probably won’t go through with this, he probably won’t be allowed to go through with it. But the sheer idea that the president of the country that you’re taking refugee in is against you, that the president is actively trying to kick you out of this safe haven or put your life at stake is terrifying. Suddenly, America isn’t a safe haven anymore. It’s not “the land of the free.” There’s a constant fear in people that they will be attacked by the racists and xenophobes who have been motivated and backed up the president of America. People are scared to step out of their houses in fear of being harassed, and rightfully so. Hate crimes have shot up since Trump was announced as the president elect. Not just against immigrants, but the people who have been born and raised here. Everyone is bearing the brunt of these hate crimes. How is America the land of the free if its own people are trapped inside their houses?

For me personally, I don’t have that fear. My faith in God reminds me that He has a plan and that whatever is happening, is happening for a reason. I trust Him to let nothing happen to me, and even if it does it’s for a reason. Once again, I can simply just move back to India and get on with my life. But I’m different. I am not the voice of these minorities. Maybe they don’t have that faith, maybe it’s not enough (and nothing is wrong with either), but none of these negate the fact that there is a wave of fear and panic, feelings of hurt and anger, in everyone. And for a huge majority of them, this is their home country. I can’t even begin to imagine how hard it must be to be born and brought up in this country and be defined by a country whose population actively voted towards your oppression. I fear for my American friends, for their safety, for their well being. For their voice that might not be heard in the swarm of hate. Especially, because they don’t have the privilege of leaving when things get worse like I do.

I say all of these things, about fear, hate, anger and panic, and they’re all what I’ve seen people express. They’re emotions that I am expressing while I write this. But I’ve also seen an exceptionally huge amount of strength and resilience shown by the people of this country. I’ve seen so much love the last couple of days. I’ve seen people come out and speak about their support for the people affected by this election. I’ve seen people taking care of each other. I can’t help but hear the loud protests and soft whispers of encouragement; and see the big rallies and small “how are yous”. They remind me, and show me that there is still hope. Not hope that Trump will make a great president and fix everything, no. They remind me that there is still hope because the people refuse to lose it. Because they are fighting for each other. They remind me that there is hope in their love, hope in their solidarity, and hope in their support. And it reminds me why Americans pride themselves on their country.

Emerson contributor