jonathan j castellon be8AmxavYp8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jonathan j castellon be8AmxavYp8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

What I Learned When I Stopped Being Snobby About Music

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

At age 16, I had one rule about dating: never, ever date anyone who likes country music. At age 21, I’ve broken that rule.

Thankfully, I’ve developed the sense to understand that a true connection with someone is far more important than the kind of music they like. My younger self, however, would’ve been horrified. How could I ever date anyone who enjoys the sound of a banjo? Can’t they appreciate truly great music?

I have been dating my girlfriend for 2 years now, and over that time we’ve taken many car rides together. I relinquish control of the music at least half of the time, and inevitably when control falls into her hands some country music will come on. At first, my listening was reluctant. Then, slowly, I became neutral. Today, I can sing every word. And the part that my younger, less mature self feels somewhat embarrassed about is that I sort of like it.

Now the songs I once only half-listened to are attached to fond memories and associated with a person I love. Now that I’ve started fully listening, I have started to appreciate the words as well as the music. When I’m alone, sometimes I even listen to the country station.

Like any genre, I can’t get behind every song. Though I consider myself a rock fan more than anything, I don’t care for heavier metal bands. While I’m also a reluctant pop fan, I find some artists deep and interesting and others less so. But the important thing is that I’ve stopped writing off an entire genre based mostly on my biased associations with it.

When I was in my “angsty middle schooler” phase, I would get frustrated whenever some distant relative would show up to Christmas and give me a Disney Channel star’s new album. I was never rude about it, but the next day I would hand it off to a younger cousin or next-door neighbor. How could they just assume that because I’m a young girl I like pop music?

I realize now that I never really let go of my insecurities about what I listen to. I always feared someone might assume something about me based on the music I was listening to, but in reality, I was judging others for it. When I opened up my musical horizons in college, in part because of my relationship and also because I simply grew up, I found a whole new range of music I enjoyed and a new appreciation for music as an artform in general. I think this idea of open-mindedness can apply to every part of life. Don’t assume something about someone’s character based on something as simple as their music taste. And don’t write something off just because of a preconceived notion about it. If you do, you will not only be doing a disservice to others, but you will be denying yourself valuable life experiences. Open up, and take it all in.

Ashley is a senior Writing, Literature, and Publishing major at Emerson College. She will graduate in December 2016. She loves playing with clothes and make-up, traveling, and drinking way too much coffee. Friends and family, cute animals, (especially her own), and dessert make her happy. 
Emerson contributor