This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Interested in Visiting Salem? Here’s what I learned.

This weekend I visited Salem, MA, and it was…a time. Here’s what I learned from my most recent visit.

1. Plan Ahead

If word from a Salem City Council member telling you not to come on a whim isn’t enough, hopefully my experience will be enough to convince you. I have been to Salem twice this October, and if I learned anything it would be to plan ahead. Salem is a popular destination for college kids, families, couples, and all the like, so imagine how crowded it gets during the spooky season! Many of the popular museums, attractions, and restaurant reservations fill up before the day even begins, sometimes selling out at midnight. Be sure to research what attractions you are interested in and make your reservations in advance! Otherwise, you may end up like me, eating dominoes at home instead of at salem’s best restaurants.

1. Get to the Train Early, Don’t Drive

Salem’s residents do not recommend driving to Salem. There is very little parking available, and if you drive you may not be able to find parking or enjoy your day. There is also ample opportunity for drinking and checking out the local legal dispensaries in Salem, so if you are of age you may not want to drive. There is a train that runs from North Station, Boston MA to Salem about every hour, and the ride is about 30 minutes and super picturesque! However, be sure to get to the train platform early. The train gets extremely crowded during the month of October, and if you are too late, or not early to your train time you will risk being unable to board the train, or get a good seat on board. The MBTA also offers a $10 weekend pass for the commuter rail, so be sure to take advantage of that deal, and get to the train early!

1. Book Attractions & Reservations Early

As I mentioned, Salem gets busy quickly. Be sure to book any ghost tours, museums, haunted houses, and restaurant reservations at least a day or more in advance. Otherwise, you may get to Salem and have to miss out on all of the delicious food and attractions the town has to offer! 

1. Be Flexible & Patient

If you go to Salem in October, you should know that it is going to be busy. Like, shoulder-to- shoulder-crowded busy. This means that you need to be flexible in terms of what you are going to do, where you are going to eat, and when you are going to get there and leave. Many employees there are just as overwhelmed as you, and you will likely have to wait to get into stores, attractions and restaurants. Be patient!

1. Bring Cash

There are many street vendors in Salem, and sometimes as a result of the overwhelming amount of people there, there will be moments where you can’t use your credit or debit card. It is always a good idea to keep some cash at hand in case! You don’t want to miss out on any of the awesome stores, vendors or restaurants!

1. Dress Up

I didn’t know this, and I wish I had, but many people dress up! From adult witch costumes, to kids in costumes, to students in fall fashion, to people in full on character gear, halloween is all the time here in Salem. Take this opportunity to dress up in whatever makes you feel your most fall-fashionable, whether that’s a costume or your favorite fall fit. And don’t forget to take pics!

1. Get Ready for Crowds

It will be crowded. Like, more crowded than you may expect. Prepare for this- keep your group close, and share your locations with each other. Make sure to keep an eye out for one another, and pack water and snacks just in case. Be careful and keep eachother safe! 

1. Have Fun

Have fun! This one is self-explanatory, but Salem is awesome, fun and full of important history. Be sure to enjoy yourself!

1. Go in November

Hahaha. But seriously, consider taking another trip in November! All of the fun will still be there, with half of the crowds. Think about it!

Zoe Rivera

Emerson '22

Hello! I am a junior Writing, Literature and Publishing major at Emerson College. I live in Boston and I am passionate about writing, reading and popular culture.