Valentine’s Day Date Ideas That Aren’t Too Cheesy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

When we think of cute date ideas for Valentine’s Day, we might automatically think of the typical fancy dinner, chocolate strawberries for dessert, a walk on the beach, or anything else that’s overly cheesy for this day filled with love. Don’t get me wrong; being super romantic and cheesy is great and it’s nice to have that every once in a while, but if you want to stay away from that this Valentine’s Day, especially since almost every restaurant you try to go to is ridiculously packed, then maybe these ideas will spark some interest for you and your partner to do.

Road Trip

What’s better than spending one-on-one time with someone while driving to a new place, singing to some tunes, and spending a day away from home with the person that brings you joy? Planning a road trip can be a lot of fun. Deciding where to go and the places you want to visit on the way to your destination, putting together a playlist for you and your partner to jam and sing along to, and getting the snacks together is all fun and would be a perfect day outing for this Valentine’s Day.

Hiking

If you two are the outdoorsy couple who loves doing physical activities, hiking will be a great way to spend some quality time together. If you two want a hard core workout, look up the best hiking trails around you to get the best out of your hike, but if you’re like me and love being outdoors but isn’t that physically ready to do a full on hike, look up some easy scenic routes to take instead.

Get Crafty in the Kitchen

Instead of going out, why not stay in and cook something up for the two of you? Have fun and get messy in the kitchen by making a homemade pizza from scratch. If you both aren’t that great of cooks, why not pick an easy recipe to follow, or be creative and make an Everything But The Kitchen Sink Sundae to get you full! This can be a fun way to spend your night together, and it will top any of the restaurants you might have had in mind.

Build A Fort

Yes, we’re going back to our childhoods where we laid blankets on the floor, built walls out of pillows, and draped sheets over our heads to top off the finished piece. This can be an interesting way to get creative, act like kids again, watch some movies, and have some takeout for dinner. The process and outcome of the fort can set your night as both romantic and entertaining for your night in with that special someone.

Personalized Scavenger Hunt

Okay this might fall into the cheesy category, but I couldn’t resist! If you are feeling extra creative, get you and your partner to plan a scavenger hunt around your city/town, or simply, around the house. This might take some time to plan out, but the time and effort put in will be greatly appreciated and will leave a great memory behind depending on how much thought you put into each item and place it’s being held.

Sasha Padilla - Journalism Major
Emerson contributor