Uncovering the New Trend: #NoMakeupMondays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

#nomakeupmonday is slowly but surely becoming as popular as hashtags like #mcm and #tbt. I’m not the first to say that I am surprised that this movement has gained momentum in an age of selfie obsession and self-image insecurities. But it does help when the leading lady of this great trend is Demi Lovato. 

The 22-year-old’s latest social justice endeavor, #NoMakeupMonday on Instagram, has become a social media phenomenon. She kicked off the movement by posting a stunning selfie that highlighted her flawless skin. It’s not just about looking good to Demi though; for her it’s all about confidence. A much better body image message than Meghan Trainor or Lady Gaga, don’t you think? So here are a few examples of how a clean face is all you need to look beautiful.  

Who needs makeup when your skin is that flawless? Show off those great cheek bones girl!

Gwyneth looked awake and hydrated in this natural picture of her. Way to keep up the healthy message with that giant bottle of water!

Stunning. No makeup needed here!

Does this even look like Lady Gaga? You don’t need all the eyeliner and strange meat dresses girl. You are beautiful. 

This girl looks ready for a night out!

Celebrities and “regular” people alike have all shown off their natural skin and confidence every Monday on social media. Why is this so important? For once, the media isn’t telling us that having a big butt is great, or that having thin thighs is right. Real women are showing who they really are and loving it. Perhaps self confidence shouldn’t be about attacking others’ assets and throwing your own in their face, but about feeling beautiful and confident in your own skin. Grab the makeup wipes ladies–who needs all that conformity anyway?

I am a Writing, literature, and Publishing Major. I love Netflix, food, and sleep. College lets me experience all 3 of my favorite things simultaneously.
Emerson contributor